Equipment for a larger guy?

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
improvingmonk
Joey
Joey
Equipment for a larger guy?

Post by improvingmonk » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:54 am

I have just spent 8 days in Bonaire learning to kite and am comfortable going upwind and even getting a little air.

I live in San Francisco and want to mainly kite Larkspur, Crissy Field (once I'm good enough), and Sherman Island. I would also like to try Ocean Beach if it is not too difficult

I'am 6'4'', 220lbs and would like recommendations on what size (and possibly type) of kite to buy. Board recommendations would also be very helpful.

How much should I look to spend on a used kite as a beginner?

Also what size wet suite is recommended?

Thanks

le noun
Old School
Old School

Re: Equipment for a larger guy?

Post by le noun » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:40 am

let's see...
improvingmonk wrote:kite Larkspur, Crissy Field (once I'm good enough), and Sherman Island. I would also like to try Ocean Beach if it is not too difficult
Larkspur: got to hit it at the right tide otherwise, can be muddy. more of a windsurfing spot imo.
Crissy filed: you'll need a full quiver and at least a surfboard (TT not necessarily recommended since they don't float as well in case you have to swim your way back in) so wait a season or two.
Sherman: great if you're comfortable riding upwind, pay for an assisted downwinder there if you're not comfortable yet.
Ocean beach: Good in the spring, make sure to go on a small swell day as it is DEFINITELY not a beginner spot (like crissy).
I'am 6'4'', 220lbs and would like recommendations on what size (and possibly type) of kite to buy. Board recommendations would also be very helpful.
I'm 200 LBS and my to go size is 11m. Problem is: you're planning on hitting lighter wind spots (larkspur, Sherman mid day) and super windy spots (crissy, OB, Sherman early morning and late afternoon). It also depends if you're planning on getting a surfboard or just a TT.
I would say 8m, 11m and 14m as a full quiver. or 9m/12m combo.
I would recommend any "freeride, all around type of kite" to start with (delta).
As far as the board goes, you want a long and wide board with a minimum amount of rocker to start. don't spend more than $200 on it and keep it down the line as your light wind board (don't forget to put your name and phone number on it as YOU WILL LOSE IT in the water... guaranty.
How much should I look to spend on a used kite as a beginner?
that answer is yours. I would say as much as you can. I would stick to kites 5 years old and younger (so anything between 2011 and 2016).
Also what size wet suite is recommended?
Again: you're planning on hitting so many different spots.
july/august: I don't even use a wetsuit at Sherman right now.
Inside the bay, usually 4/3 full suit or shorty depending on the time of the year.
crissy/coast: 5/4 full suit, although, 4/3 is usually enough in the summer.
Thanks
Welcome to the bay!
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D