Another Beginner Equipment Thread

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
LmpPst
Joey
Joey
Another Beginner Equipment Thread

Post by LmpPst » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:51 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have taken some lessons and will be taking a few more in the up coming month or so. I have some questions about equipment for my size. I live in Folsom so that would be my primary place to kite. I would like to be able to go to the Bay Area when I can or during the season to get more year round time to ride. I am 5'11'' 145 lbs.

I am looking to getting some equipment. I found a board I am interested in but I am concerned about the size. It is a Shinn Pinbot 138x42. From what I have gathered 135 is about the sweet spot for my weight. I think one of my lessons was on a 135 board. Does 138x42 sound too big for my weight? I figured it would be a good beginner board that could become a light wind alternative later on. The other piece to this is if I am going to Folsom lake would that be better as it might be lighter wind than the Bay area spots. I figure this will get me started and I could get a smaller size Monk once I have gotten a few seasons under my belt.

I am also thinking of getting some Switch Element kites. I was thinking 9m and 11m to start off. I know my lessons have been on 11m Switchblades. Is this a good two kite starting quiver?

Last piece is the harness, I am thinking of getting a Dakine Chameleon. I like the idea of having a hybrid harness to try out seat vs waist. I figure it is cheap enough that once I figure out which style I like better I can get a nicer seat or waist harness. Would this be a good way to try out both or just go all in on a waist harness?

Thanks for the help. I apologize for yet again another beginner equipment thread but I had a hard time finding information about my weight for this area.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Re: Another Beginner Equipment Thread

Post by le noun » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:06 am

Welcome!
Let's see:
the board: just don't spend a lot of money on your first TT. look for something big, wide and with a minimum amount of rocker. I wouldn't spend more than $200.And please, please, put your name and phone number on it because YOU WILL lose it at some point.

the kites: Can't comment on the switch kites since I haven't tried them but again, you might want to look at used equipment for you first kites. 9 and 11m combo sounds great. I use 8 and 11m. I wouldn't look for anything bigger than 11m at your weight.

the harness: again, haven't tried that specific one, but try a few on at a shop (they should have a chicken loop attached to a rope so you can lean back into the harness). Take your time on that one because to me it's one of the most important piece of equipment when it comes to make a difference between a comfortable session or not, and it doesn't matter what people will recommend: we all have different backs. So as long as you hear good thing about durability on the harness of your choice AND that it fits your comfortably, then go for it.

Good luck!
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

drwack
Joey
Joey

Post by drwack » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:44 am

I can comment on Switch Kites. I met the Switch team during while living in New Zealand and have flow their kites since. Their kites provides the best value. You will be spending 60% compared to other brands for a new, well constructed kite. I am a team rider and can give you a demo but I am a few generations back (10m nitro 2 and 7m method 2) and don't have an Element. When I do upgrade it will be a quiver of Elements.

Le noun hit everything else on the head. His harness advice is great as you will be dragging through the water.

LmpPst
Joey
Joey

Post by LmpPst » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Thanks le noun.

I think I will look into the harness stuff a bit more.

Loosing the board is something I didn't really give much thought to but that is definitely valid. I know in my lessons I could body drag back to my board when I knew where it was but there were a few times where I needed the instructor's help simply because I couldn't see the board. Would something like the GoJoe be a good help for this? I know it looks goofy but if it makes it easier to get back onto the water then who cares.

When starting out is there such a thing as a board too big?

drwack

I saw the Switch Kites while I was in NZ as well. When I saw they had comparable prices to a used kite it got me interested. I guess I would rather know I broke my own kite vs a debate if it was from the previous owner. This could just be my perception that kites can't take that much of a beating and I could be wrong.

Thanks for the help guys

drwack
Joey
Joey

Post by drwack » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:07 pm

LmpPst wrote:Thanks le noun.

I saw the Switch Kites while I was in NZ as well. When I saw they had comparable prices to a used kite it got me interested. I guess I would rather know I broke my own kite vs a debate if it was from the previous owner. This could just be my perception that kites can't take that much of a beating and I could be wrong.

Thanks for the help guys
I believe they still use a double layer of dacron on the leading edge. While this adds a bit of weight it adds durability as well. I can vouch that Switch Kites can take a beating (I learned on my 10m 3 years ago) and enjoy my 7m method as a daily surfboard driver. I'm not sure why they aren't popular in the US, could be a lack of marketing (looking at an fone ad to the right). They fly great and allow a much cheaper entry to the sport.

If you have any specific questions about the kites feel free to ask and if you do decide to go Switch and I was helpful, pop this referral number in so I can get some Element 5s as well:

Cheers

opie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by opie » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:29 pm

I just learned this winter. I lost a board on the third day at Sherman, bought a Go Joe and never even came close to losing a board again. You can always see it, which is the main thing, but it also catches the wind so that it blows downwind to you.
Also, I went with a convertible harness for the same reasons you are considering one, and I am glad I did. When you are learning you spend a lot of time with the kite high and the shorts will help keep the harness down. Dealing with a waist harness which keeps becoming a chest harness while you are trying to figure everything out takes some of the fun out of it. Once you get the hang of it the waist harness can be more comfortable.
I bought mine online, and its too big, so I second the idea that you should try them on in a local shop. That's what I'll do next time.
Welcome to the madness. chris

LmpPst
Joey
Joey

Post by LmpPst » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:32 pm

Hi Opie,

Thanks for the info on the GoJoe. Seems like a good investment.

While we are on the topic of writing your information on your equipment. Is there a specific spot to put it on all of your equipment? I know the Coast Guard like your information there so they can reach out to know if you are safe. So is there a good spot they prefer? I have seen stuff like this listed on a few forums: http://www.sea-id.com/

On a board it is straight forward but a kite or a bar it seems a bit harder to put one where it isn't in the way of normal use.