problems relaunching slingshot RPM 14m

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
Sfodysseus
Contributor
Contributor
problems relaunching slingshot RPM 14m

Post by Sfodysseus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:58 pm

i have a 2015 slingshot RPM 14m. while the kite flies really well when aloft, i've had some serious trouble relaunching it. youtube searches show people using what i'd call a 'hot launch' technique, swimming towards the kite and then yanking one of the steering lines hard to get the kite out of the water. when i contacted slingshot they said the kite launches just fine using the standard technique of simply tugging on one of the steering lines until the kite steers upwind and rises on one side. but this has not worked for me. does anyone else own this kite? is there something i'm missing about the relaunch technique?

NorCalNomad
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: problems relaunching slingshot RPM 14m

Post by NorCalNomad » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:13 pm

1. The rpm doesn't have amazing relaunch to begin with.
2. If you're using a 14m the winds are probably lower (unless you're just a big dude who needs the extra 2m when people are normally on 12's)
3. Pay close attention to the balance in front vs rear line tension when relaunching, you want them ideally equal. If you have to grab the front lines to have the kite catch more wind, slowly let them out when they start to pull instead of just releasing them at once.
4. Hot launching usually is when the kite is sitting trailing edge down in the water. And that's a whole other can of worms.
Listing gear is bad, and you should feel bad.

TomAUSTRIA
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by TomAUSTRIA » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:43 pm

Did you try reverse launching by pulling both steering lines?

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVa4vQAQdd4

This usually works quite well in light wind but I've never tried it with a 14m RPM.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:15 pm

Reverse launching RPMs on snow was a breeze. Probably tougher with big heavy 14m + light winds + water without having some leverage.

Sfodysseus
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sfodysseus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:14 pm

1. The rpm doesn't have amazing relaunch to begin with.
>> good to hear. slingshot tech support said any beginner should be able to do it. and while i'm not looping on my transition turns, i've never had a problem relaunching kites until this one.

2. If you're using a 14m the winds are probably lower (unless you're just a big dude who needs the extra 2m when people are normally on 12's)
>>i'm 6'3" 185, but i regularly fly an 11.5 when guys are out with 12s. the first time i had trouble was in end of season light winds at racetrack. the kite went down on a transition jump and i couldn't get it up before the kite nicked the rocks. ouch. i thought it was my inexperience with a big kite in soft winds. but this season i went out in low winds but things picked up to 20 when my kite went down. i drifted 200 yards before i could get it up and the only way i did was by pulling the center lines and the steering line hard, as you mentioned. i've never had to do that before to relaunch. the kite has also inverted on me a few times -- as i pulled the steering line the corner just folded in (and my kite was fully inflated) and inverted. end of session.

3. Pay close attention to the balance in front vs rear line tension when relaunching, you want them ideally equal. If you have to grab the front lines to have the kite catch more wind, slowly let them out when they start to pull instead of just releasing them at once.
>> good advice. thanks. as i said above, i figured some of this out on my own. but their sales video suggests it's a piece of cake to relaunch and it's not at all. it's a very finicky kite in the water.

gmiller88
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gmiller88 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:15 am

I fly rpm's and have never had an issue relaunching. Even underpowered I've been able to get it up. Maybe a defective kite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmiller88
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gmiller88 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:16 am

May also just be the size of the kite. A wet 14m is a lot of kite to get out of the water. I've only gone as high as a 12m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorCalNomad
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by NorCalNomad » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:34 pm

Sfodysseus wrote:as i said above, i figured some of this out on my own. but their sales video suggests it's a piece of cake to relaunch and it's not at all. it's a very finicky kite in the water.
Yeah there is a reason you don't see square wingtips on beginner / freeride kites. Square wingtips = harder relaunch. Also the C shape doesn't help either.
Listing gear is bad, and you should feel bad.