Kiting in December?

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
smoose
Joey
Joey
Kiting in December?

Post by smoose » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:35 pm

Hi guys! Does anyone/will anyone go kiting at Sherman/3rd/Alameda in December? Even if there's a bit of wind I'm keen to go! Let me know, I can borrow a car to get there on the weekend. I'm currently learning how to go upwind better. Thanks!

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kiting in December?

Post by jjm » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:47 pm

Tony Soprano wrote:The season is pretty much over now, especially for beginners.

It's more or less March thru October. The experts might get in a few more sessions over the fall and winter, but wind conditions tend to be trickier and less reliable.

All frontal and clearing storm wind for the next five months...including this weekend

During the winter season by the time online wind alerts comes and you head to the beach its usually too late. Early bird gets the wind.

Winter riding is about being there at the right time and at the right spot.
One spot can blow an hour and then another spot can blow the next. Really local wind.

If you do show up at a beach and do not see someone rigging or kiting, there is a reason. Look and watch the locals, do not go out alone at a beach you have never been to off season.
Relevant post from Tony Soprano on a recent related topic.

dwaynej
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dwaynej » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:05 am

As a beginner, best advice in the off season is to travel to a Mexico or Caribbean kite boarding destination. If the wind does blow, it can be very unpredictable and switch quickly from onshore to offshore. Winds before and after storms can be good for experienced riders but quickly overwhelm you if you do not have experience. Conditions on the water after a storm a sketchy at best with considerable pollution and debris.

Xor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Xor » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:10 pm

Another option with this early snow is to go snow kiting!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Good-bye... and hello... as always!
Victor