Any areas for landboarding?

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
m2736185
Joey
Joey
Any areas for landboarding?

Post by m2736185 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:36 am

Im new to the area and just started kiteboarding. Are there any areas around that I can land board?

dontfeedthenerd
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Any areas for landboarding?

Post by dontfeedthenerd » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:40 pm

Mountain View, Shoreline

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kite+ ... 42!6m1!1e1

Just make sure Shoreline doesn't have a concert that day, plenty of guys rip around that big parking lot.

m2736185
Joey
Joey

Post by m2736185 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:48 am

Thanks I guess that's one spot I'll have to check out. Is there wind fairly consistent over there ?

dontfeedthenerd
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dontfeedthenerd » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:33 pm

I honestly am not sure. I'd guess it probably gets some of what Palo Alto sensor shows?

johnrs
Joey
Joey

Post by johnrs » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:29 am

Does anyone know of any land boarding events in the Bay Area? Or a local professional/expert that would like to be filmed? I work for a video technology company in the Bay Area and we are looking to shoot Ultra HD footage of landboarding. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:22 am

johnrs wrote:Does anyone know of any land boarding events in the Bay Area?
I've heard that since Ocean Beach banned land boarding back in '09 and now Dillion Beach no longer allows it, the sport has somewhat dried up around the Bay area. I've not heard or seen an event for this in many years. Live@Kite dabbles with some products still, but even they've mostly got out of it as they only stock one mtn board and a few powerkites. There used to be a powerkite shop called Dakitez in Galt that has now closed, but if you can find Dino the owner, he may be able to give you some good info. I know he had access to a sod field in Lodi, but I'm not sure if any events were held there since it was on private property. Shoreline is still the preferred spot from what I know.

If you're willing to explore, right now Folsom Lake is perfect for land boarding since the lake is low. Tons of terrain from flats to bumps. Beals Point, Granite Bay, or Dotons Point would be perfect. The only caveat is it's about a 2 hour dive east of SF and there's a fee to access the park, so it's not the most convenient. Wind is also dependent on passing or clearing storms.

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:35 am

johnrs wrote:Does anyone know of any land boarding events in the Bay Area? Or a local professional/expert that would like to be filmed? I work for a video technology company in the Bay Area and we are looking to shoot Ultra HD footage of landboarding. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Check out the Power Kite Forum as well. You might get a better/more precise answer.
http://www.powerkiteforum.com

pzorner
Joey
Joey

Post by pzorner » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:25 pm

Primm Nevada has a dry lake that is awesome for Landboarding or LandSailing

alexglebov
Contributor
Contributor

Post by alexglebov » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:50 pm

Primm, NV is too far. I usually go to a dry lake near Carson city when I am in Tahoe.Let me know if you want to go there.

pzorner
Joey
Joey

Post by pzorner » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:41 am

Wow, that's awesome. Thanks Alex! I had not hard of the Dry Lake near Carson City. I did the drive to Primm, and while worth it the first time, would be tough to do more than once a year.

It looks like winds at the Dry Lake there are best April to July, and picking up in the Afternoon. That's great.

Will definitely connect with you SS$$