Kite friends

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
highvoltj
Contributor
Contributor
Kite friends

Post by highvoltj » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:24 pm

Hello All! I am new to kite boarding and took some lesson's with Boardsport's in Alameda. (Way Kool People!) However, I live in Santa Rosa and am looking for some other's who are also new to the scene to possibly meet and go get some time in the bay! I have a Previa mini-van (they rock!)
and am willing to do the driving! I just don't know anyone yet, and it's way better to have a friend to help launch and/or partner with. I am available during the week and weekends when work permit's...I work for myself so I am somewhat flexible.....I suppose Alameda is "The Place" for beginner's, yet Sherman and maybe 3rd st. are not out of the question. I just want to get as much time in as possible so I can develop the necessary skill and confidence to go out in the Ocean!! I live close to Dillion Beach and can't wait to tackle that! Just throwing this idea out there!
Have a Great Weekend Everyone!! XZSD XZSD XZSD

Xor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Kite friends

Post by Xor » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:27 pm

Welcome.
3rd is good place to learn once you are confident in body dragging and self rescue, ask locals for introduction to possible exits and hazards (mostly rocky shoreline)
Sherman is good if you you are good at body dragging, and getting assisted downwinder or lessons with Bruce Sheldon, otherwise sherman requires confident launching/landing in fluc winds, ability to get upwind immediately after waterstart, confidence and experience in the crowd, etc. so advanced spot, but awesome once you are confident.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Good-bye... and hello... as always!
Victor

highvoltj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by highvoltj » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:40 pm

Thanks for the Great Advice! I will lean towards sticking around Alameda as to not "get in the way" during my beginning session's. I would like to check out 3rd when I am more confident in kite control...don't want to crash a kite into the rock's! !$*(
Again, Thank you for the "Head's Up" Xor!!

seashell
Contributor
Contributor

Post by seashell » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:22 am

Glad to have you join the community! I'll be in Alameda today if that works for you, and I can certainly give you a launch. It's usually easy to get a launch by the shack anyway. There can be some folks who are too new to launch beginners, but there are plenty of experienced people as well.

highvoltj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by highvoltj » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:53 am

Thanx Seashell!!! By the looks of it...according to ikitesurf....it is going to be a light wind day? Maybe 14m? I only have up to 12m :-( but am considering buying a 14m kite soon!

Xor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Xor » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:42 pm

Unless you seriously planning to kite Alameda all the time later on I would skip 14m and focus on progressing to 3rd. All you need is kite control, body drag and self rescue. Go there on low tide and you can walk almost up to the channel.
Ask someone local to introduce details, observe others, to hold you during launch and walk you out through the mud.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Good-bye... and hello... as always!
Victor

JimmyJack
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JimmyJack » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:29 am

Victor is right, I love Alameda's friendly confines, but the more you kite the less you will go there, especially without a foil. Just look at the "statistics" section for Alameda and compare that to 3rd, Berkeley, TP and Sherman and you will see that Alameda blows, and not in a good way. But when it does blow in a good way like in Spring clearing wind or winter storm, it is fun. I would suggest getting a 14m. I have a 10, 13, 15 and 18 and I kited at least one day a week through winter last year using the 15 and 18 most often at Toll Plaza. But like you, I had just started, for me it was late last summer and my addiction was peaking through winter as winds faded and the 15 and 18 worked.

Frappes
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Frappes » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:58 pm

Oh man I really miss the Previa I had back in high school. That's a mighty fine vehicle.

highvoltj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by highvoltj » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:57 pm

Thankyou for all the input on seeking "new horizon's" as a newbie....I guess I just assumed Alameda was THE place to begin without too much worry, and/or getting in the way of the Pro's...I will definitely ck out 3rd, and I have windsurfed Sherman so I am somewhat aware of condition's there. It would be a good idea to just go look at all the posibilities....Thanks again!!!
Oh! And yea......I LOVE the Previa!!! Such a ripping good versatile vehicle!!! My dog's luv it too!!! ;-)

joakimsd
Joey
Joey

Post by joakimsd » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:41 pm

highvoltj,
Hi there,
I finally joined here. You helped me launch my Ride 11m last week, remember?
I'll try to me in Alameda Saturday afternoon.

-J