Learning to Race

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
scott3000
Joey
Joey
Learning to Race

Post by scott3000 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:09 pm

I am considering learning kiteboarding. What I really want to do is to learn to use a race board. I have both sailing and windsurfing experience. What is the recommended path to learn? Lessons seem to focus on a standard kiteboard, which seems very different from a raceboard. Should I plan using a standard kiteboard at first and then switching or is it possible to go strait to a raceboard? Any thoughts are appreciated.

kandrey89
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Learning to Race

Post by kandrey89 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:55 pm

I don't think there's a difference between kiteboarding and kiteracing in that you will have to learn to control the kite, learn how to get on the board and how to navigate using the kite.
Race board or twin-tip, principle is the same. Once you can get up and go places on a twintip, then you can learn the specifics of racing.

Race boards are expensive... You can learn on a cheap twin-tip and go from there.

ozchrisb
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by ozchrisb » Wed May 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Race boards are a little harder to learn on compared to a twin tip or surf board. The big fins and high volume just take a little getting used to. Having lessons is essential and your instructor will probably have a twin tip you can use. Possibly mention what you want to do and they can get you on a surfboard sooner. That will give you more of an idea on what it's like to have a directional board underfoot. Since foil boards came along race boards got pretty cheap. People are selling really good condition boards for a song!

scott3000
Joey
Joey

Post by scott3000 » Thu May 22, 2014 5:54 am

Thank you for the thoughts. Your answers have been very helpful in figuring out how to get into kiteboard racing.