Mui Ne in Vietnam

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
andydavis
Contributor
Contributor
Mui Ne in Vietnam

Post by andydavis » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:06 am

1) I went to Mui Ne in the middle of February. (It was a total failure for me...I slipped on some wet tiles, wrecked my knee and had to come back after kiting just one day.)
2) Mui Ne itself is a mid size fishing town about 4.5 hours from Saigon. There are beaches and kiting on both sides of it. I kited out of Malibu Beach, which is about two miles northeast of town. I think it probably has the best beach. I stayed at the Source Lodge on the edge of Mui Ne (not on the beach); although it had a shack on the beach where I kept my stuff.
3) Many more kite schools and kites southwest of Mui Ne in Ham Tien, which is the tourist strip. It's kind of crowded on the beach itself, which is a little narrower and much more crowded with people. Ham Tien seems to be mostly Russian tourists, although there are a lot of other Euros...very few Americans. Ham Tien seems to have more beginners and out of control kites.
4) The windy season seems to be about November to late March. Mostly, I understand it is about 15 to 20 knots in the afternoon. I think I would take a 10 and a 12 if I go again, and leave the 8m at home. It's very shallow a long way out. The waves are all wind driven with maybe a maximum 2' wave height. Mostly surfboards fooling around in the shore break; although maybe half twin tips. Very few foil boards...I'm guessing because there are a million fish traps out there supported by a tangle of plastic bottles or half inflated motorcycle tires.
5) The Source Lodge is not on the beach and filled with twenty something y.o. kiters, which is kind of fun, but I'm 68 and not a fan of Ska music. If I go back, I think I would stay in Ham Tien, which has more restaurants, bars, etc., but kite on Malibu beach. Definitely rent a motorbike (about $10/day). Walking is impossibly dangerous in Mui Ne itself. Ham Tien has sidewalks, tourist shops, bars, sun burned Russian girls looking for fun.

Definitely worth a trip. I will go back if my knee every gets better.

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Re: Mui Ne in Vietnam

Post by Kyle » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:37 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your knee, I hope it heals up. Thanks for posting, I'm sure some people will find it helpful.