Baja 2016!!!

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
Kyle
Regular
Regular
Baja 2016!!!

Post by Kyle » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:04 pm

My wife and I just got back from our 4th thanksgiving between Los Barriles and La Ventana. It’s always a bit early in the season, but we’ve always been super lucky. This year, we arrived just at the tail end of a 3-week wind streak. Thankfully with the addition of the foil, we only had 2 days out of 7 we weren’t able to get out on the water. With El Nino, the water is super warm this year and El Norte is blowing strong. Even if it’s just for a long weekend, http://www.exotikite.com Los Barriles and http://www.palapasventana.com are the places to be this winter!
IMG_4179.JPG
Stoked to be in the Exotikite Shuttle and ready to kite!
IMG_4179.JPG (1.95MiB)Viewed 4203 times
This is the first year we did not rent a car, and it worked out great. The shuttle was waiting right outside departures, and was big enough to fit 6 people and a ton of gear. Since we didn’t have to deal with the rental car lines, mexican insurance policies, and cramming 3 boards into a Ford Fiesta, we were able to kite the day we arrived. Exotikite in less than 1 hour from the airport, and the shuttle is the fastest way to go.
IMG_4174.JPG
Morning coffee watching the wind line
IMG_4174.JPG (2.07MiB)Viewed 4203 times
Their lodging is right on the beach, and over breakfast you can watch the wind line approach and be the first on the water. In the evenings, enjoy the light wind on a foil and pack up your kite in the dark:)
FullSizeRender 3.jpg
evening solo foil sesh
FullSizeRender 3.jpg (406.81KiB)Viewed 4203 times
Los Barriles is a great little town, with a few awesome restaurants and a couple grocery stores if you prefer to cook in. Luz Beth tortillas are the best afternoon snack you can buy. Underbite dog lives at the vegetable stand, we hope to adopt a baja dog soon!
IMG_4177.JPG
Baja Dogs!
IMG_4177.JPG (2.87MiB)Viewed 4203 times
IMG_4170.JPG
Luz Beth tortillas hot off the press!
IMG_4170.JPG (2.11MiB)Viewed 4203 times
Another hour+ north is La Ventana. We’ve been staying with Tim at Palapas Ventana ever since we started coming down here. We always enjoy splitting the trip, and greatly appreciate the pampering at Palapas. I can’t make my wife cook all vacation, so that’s why we picked Palapas. Breakfast and lunch are included in your stay, and the meals are fabulous. We also do the Thanksgiving turkey dinner, served with a Mexican influence and honestly the best turkey I’ve ever had.
IMG_4184.JPG
Thanksgiving dinner with the BAK crew
IMG_4184.JPG (2.25MiB)Viewed 4203 times
This year, they’re putting in a new hot tub with a poolside bar! It should be finished pretty soon, and we can’t imagine a better way to finish an epic sash.
IMG_0329.JPG
Optimistic for wind, with the new pool almost done
IMG_0329.JPG (1.95MiB)Viewed 4203 times
If there’s no wind, you can go spearfishing, and have your catch turned into ceviche! This was a ton of fun.
IMG_4196.JPG
fresh ceviche and margaritas before dinner at Palapas
IMG_4196.JPG (2.06MiB)Viewed 4203 times
This year my wife stayed down for an extra week to participate in the http://www.kb4girls.org downwinder. She was sad for about 5 minutes after I left, and almost didn’t come home:)
IMG_4199.JPG
always hard to leave on a windy day :-/
IMG_4199.JPG (1.7MiB)Viewed 4203 times
The peso is super cheap this year (16:1) so now is definitely a good time to go. Don’t hesitate to let me know if you have any questions, and enjoy your trip! Kyle