Aitutaki end Aug-early Sept.

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
monkielion
Joey
Joey
Aitutaki end Aug-early Sept.

Post by monkielion » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:08 pm

Looking for recommendations here: What size kites would you bring to Aitutaki / Cooks Islands for end of August-early September? We ride twin tips and we have 7, 9, 11, and 14 Naish Rides. I'm 54 kg and my partner is 93 kg. Should we bring all 4? Maybe we (I) won't need the 7?
Also, I'm always cold. I wore a 1 mm wetsuit jacket in Maui in October and that was great. I wore it in Turks in February, although it was a bit too much there but better than nothing. Should I bring it? Or a 1 mm vest and/or a polypro rashguard? Just how "cold" is winter in Aitutaki?
We'll bring reef booties and bug spray and the usual stuff. Any other helpful tips from those who've been? That water looks A-mazing! Thx

Red_Element_Andy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Aitutaki end Aug-early Sept.

Post by Red_Element_Andy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:22 am

Been in Rarotonga since June 29th, and I'll be in Aitutaki on July 9th-15th, will report back! So far on Rarotonga it's been 12m most days. The forecast for when I will be there is upper teens through mid 20's so i will get to use my 9m after all. I heard there was some 6m weather a few weeks ago, but was more of a storm than anything else.

I've been comfortable with only a rash guard, but that's me! Bring your 1mm top since it's small, but I would leave the 7m, and bring the 14m for your partner. Also, lots of folks wear booties at Muri Lagoon (Raro) to protect against reef rash, but you don't need to if you think you can complete your drift launch without bracing your feet against the bottom for too long. If you are barefoot, it's also a bit gross to feel the sea cucumbers.

-Andy

monkielion
Joey
Joey

Post by monkielion » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:39 am

Thanks for the info, Andy. I want to hear about your trip to Aitutaki. Please update! Hope you get good wind! *bg&

Red_Element_Andy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Red_Element_Andy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:02 am

Just arrived in Sydney en route back to the USA, after spending 10 days on Raro, 6 on Aitutaki, and 2 on Aitu (not for kiting).

The recap was that I got a skunked a few days in a row on Aitutaki (dead flat!) but then got two days on Honeymoon island. Never took the 9m out of the bag, used the 12m the whole time - which ended up being about 6-7 days for me.

For Aitutaki transfers to Honeymoon or 1-Foot Island I highly recommend Mike Lee - the only certified instructor on the island. He's got a good setup, and is pretty generous with accommodations. $50 NZD got me boat transfer each way, a massive fresh BBQ'd lunch, and fresh water for the day. On top of that he also lent me a big board from his gear collection, and offered a 16m as well when it was still building around 10am. Good guy!

Hope you have a fun trip, the Cook Islanders are very welcoming.

Andy