Maui

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
NateDog
Joey
Joey
Maui

Post by NateDog » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:29 pm

I'm heading to Maui in July with my family. Staying on the west side. Any advice for what to bring, best times and beaches to break-away for a few sessions? I'm thinking a 9m and 12m and twin tip. Are there options other than kite beach?

Arnaud
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Maui

Post by Arnaud » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:35 pm

You probably want to bring a 7m. The main spot is kite beach but Kihei is fun too! Usually more gusty though.
North/Calikites Team

Rakky
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rakky » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:38 am

I am visiting Maui currently, and used a 12m for a couple of days, although the wind has picked up today, and rode a 10m and was overpowered. I ride a surfboard and prefer kitebeach. You can also try kihei, although depends on the wind direction.
At kitebeach, you are allowed to kite from 11am onwards. The common kites used here are 6 to 10m, and occasionally bigger.
I am staying on the west side, just north of Kaanapali. Drive to kite beach is approx 45mts, and more with traffic and the slow tourist drivers. From Lahaina to Maalea Bay, there is only a single lane, versus 2 lanes the rest of the way, and so traffic builds up on the single lane.
The surf is also looking good on the west side today. Depending on the wind, I have seen kiters off kaanapali, although I have never tried it.

NateDog
Joey
Joey

Post by NateDog » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:25 am

Thanks for the valuable insights guys.

So probably not worth the extra bag charge to bring the 12m. My smallest kite is a 9m. I suppose I could rent/buy a 7m there if necessary. Any recommendations for shops?

Is it worth it to bring a surfboard vs. a twin tip?

Much appreciated.

mighty
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mighty » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:20 am

Retail Maui's really small and clustered by the airport and Kite Beach - there's a Naish store, a Cabrinha store, and a bunch of other places you can rent from. 5m through 10m is ideal, but I've brought my 11m and not been able to get out. Surfboards and twin tips are both fun. I rent a surfboard from Neil Pryde because I don't want to deal with checking a board.