For sale pictures linked to phone number

News Messages which are displayed on the mainpage.

Moderator: BayAreaKite

For sale pictures linked to phone number

Postby NorCalNomad » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:02 pm

TLDR; I had occasion where my phone number was google searched and popped up images from for sale adds from here even though my number isn't listed on any of the adds I've put up here. What's up with that?

Long Version:

Was recently part of a group chat where I knew everyone in it, but didn't know who went with who's number. So I asked and someone also had the same problem but was cheeky and googled my number. They said it popped up some of my kiteboarding photos which seemed odd to me. So I googled it myself and a number of my photos from the BST adds here are somehow linked to my personal phone number. The only time I've ever put my number down on this site is through a private message. Read the terms of service...not sure anything in there covers this. I'm not really angry or anything, but this seems odd and maybe at worse a potential security vulnerability for the site.
Listing gear is bad, and you should feel bad.
NorCalNomad
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: For sale pictures linked to phone number

Postby BayAreaKite » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:36 am

Sorry about that. Google bots scour the site daily, so I can see how anything on this site ends up in a google search. The bots don't have access to your PMs, so I don't think that's how it was made public. There is a phone number field when you a create a classified ad, but there is not one associated with your user profile. So perhaps sometime you did post a classified with a phone number at one point and the bot happened to see it?

The site is protected by an SSL certificate and as stated in the privacy policy, no user data is shared. Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions or concerns.
BayAreaKite
Site Admin
Site Admin
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Return to Website Terms, Conditions & News Mainpage