[North Bay] Bullhead

Information about San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding locations and guidelines.
rocketjot
Joey
Joey
[North Bay] Bullhead

Post by rocketjot » Sun May 14, 2017 9:38 pm

Anyone with some insight or information about kiting here?

What's the best sensor?

Thanks in advance.

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Re: [North Bay] Bullhead

Post by Tony Soprano » Mon May 15, 2017 6:30 am

This is off the grid for sure.

The beach faces north and the prevailing wind would be offshore, side off shore at best.

I have never heard of it being used for kite-boarding. What's the beach look like.

It is a state park, better know the regulations.

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Mon May 15, 2017 11:19 am

Probably not a good idea. I mean on your way there you pass by Brickyards.

Usually lots of anchored out boats in front of Bullhead. I'm also guessing lots of families, kids. I know paddleboarders like to hang out there.

Again, I'd recommend not. There are better spots around with fewer risks.

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Mon May 15, 2017 11:28 am

I've only heard Brickyard was kite'able. I guess on a N wind day Bullhead would be possible. Better have good upwind skills though.

Some things to be aware of pertaining to your rights to kiteboard within a CA State Park. Both the USCG and CA DBW consider kiteboarding as "non motorized vessels" (same as sailboards). Currently there's no CA legislation that enforces one to carry or wear a certified pfd when kiteboarding (or sailboarding).
The USCG operating here in CA are currently treating kiteboarding the same as sailboarding (which are exempt from pfd laws) and are not enforcing the pfd requirements for non motorized vessels (i.e. kiteboarding).
Since the park closes at sunset, there are no requirements for carrying a sound signaling device (whistle) or lights.

Just be glad we're not playing within Colorado State Parks where kiteboarding is prohibited and are considered an aircraft vs. a water vessel...
AIRCRAFT
"It shall be prohibited to land or take off with any type of aircraft on any Parks and Outdoor recreation lands and waters except as specically authorized by these regulations or in case of emergency. “Aircraft” means any device or equipment that is used or intended to be used for manned flight or to otherwise hold humans aloft for any period of time, including powerless flight, and specically includes, but is not limited to, airplanes, helicopters, gliders, hot air balloons, hang gliders, parachutes, parasails, kiteboards, kite tubes, zip lines and other similar devices or equipment."
Last edited by Yoda on Mon May 15, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rocketjot
Joey
Joey

Post by rocketjot » Mon May 15, 2017 12:04 pm

Off the grid for sure, but if it's getting called out in the iKitesurf forecast there must be something going on there.

If the Marin Kite Mafia wants to privately PM me details and for all intents and purposes this remains a shark-infested hazard zone full of kite-eating rocks and trigger-happy rangers, fine by me.

It happens to be a stone's throw from my office, so I'll pay the MK Mafia any amount of protection money to make it work.

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Mon May 15, 2017 12:31 pm

rocketjot wrote:Off the grid for sure, but if it's getting called out in the iKitesurf forecast there must be something going on there.

If the Marin Kite Mafia wants to privately PM me details and for all intents and purposes this remains a shark-infested hazard zone full of kite-eating rocks and trigger-happy rangers, fine by me.

It happens to be a stone's throw from my office, so I'll pay the MK Mafia any amount of protection money to make it work.

If it was a kiteable spot, people would be there already. The guy calling out spots on the forecast is a weather guy, not a wind guy. They call out tubamancha too, but you don't see crowds there.

there's no mafia, and that's a poor attitude to have. thats the kind of attitude that gets people into trouble, be it you or spectators, etc.

rocketjot
Joey
Joey

Post by rocketjot » Mon May 15, 2017 12:36 pm

ozreiuosn wrote:
there's no mafia, and that's a poor attitude to have. thats the kind of attitude that gets people into trouble, be it you or spectators, etc.
I am completely kidding (sorry, thought that was obvious).

But this spot has been kited (on the right tide). And windsurfed.

Thought maybe some of the locals had some info.

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Mon May 15, 2017 2:39 pm

We do have some info. Don't kite Bullhead. Go to Brickyard, SAFELY.

Nearly all kiteable areas are already listed here, under Kite Beaches at the top of the page

If there's no one kiting at a spot you've noticed, there's usually a reason why. Kiters have discovered all your prime, public, kiting spots already. Use their knowledge and experience to your advantage.

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Mon May 15, 2017 8:07 pm

Godsey and Co. (Ikitesurf) do exactly the same forecast for kiters and poleboarders. One of the only advantages of windsurfing over kiting is that you don't need a beach or even an open area to launch. I've never been to Bullhead but I've been to other places where you couldn't kite but windsurfers were out. And there are also places where you aren't allowed to kite but poleboarding is still allowed.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

Brickyard
Joey
Joey

Post by Brickyard » Mon May 15, 2017 8:47 pm

Bullhead is a challenge. It is onshore on a North, NW wind but really really gusty. Small launch with table, BBQ and sign post right in launch area. Drift launch works best for me in this local when alone. Rangers are always nice and have no issue with kiting here.