Am I ready to make the switch from Alameda to 3rd?

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:16 am

Well look at it this way, at 3PM when there are many people around it is more likely that someone will jump on your kite or grab your harness to slow you down or maybe even pull your release if you get paralyzed from fear. If you are getting dragged it is good to have other kiteboarders around.

glenn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by glenn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:20 am

j - check out the 'last chance' beach on a low tide so you know where it is. this is your last out before the bridge if you go downwind. it sounds like you've had some water time so I recommend that you launch from the mud flat and go all the way down to the last chance beach - blow off the lower launch spot to get more water time. when you are still a few hundred feet offshore dump the kite IN THE WATER. wrap up your lines and crawl up over the few rocks. then you can go into the office parking lot and untangle your lines and fold up your kite and then do the walk of shame up the bike path. soon you will be straining to see the launch when you look DOWNWIND!! goodluck

EDITED AFTER READING WINDHORNY COMMENTS BELOW: Yuri is correct, this advice is not for everyone. It may be beneficial for SOME (I used this method to learn upwind riding at 3rd) but it should not be taken as good advice across the board. Some influencing factors include: previous kite/water time, practice landing the kite in the water, practice wrapping up the lines in the water, swimming ability, ability to climb up the rocks without twisting an ankle etc, willingness to untangle your lines, and willingness to risk kite damage. There are definately negative factors with this method. Personally I loved the extra water time and didn't mind these factors but please be careful and goodluck!
Last edited by glenn on Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:33 am

No offense but i think that is bad advice. it is called "last" chance beach for a reason. To advise one to intentionally kite there almost defeats it's purpose. I would say to at least try and get into the downwind launch and see if you can manage the wierd winds. Then, if you cant for some reason, then use the last chance beach as a LAST CHANCE. As long as you pick your tide height right, shouldnt be a problem to get in anywhere. Just wear booties!

HelmKites3rd
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HelmKites3rd » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:10 am

Every post has valuable information! If you are interested in kiting at 3rd, please ask the locals what their take is! The spot is awesome once you can stay up wind, self rescue, as well as transition your board. However, hot launches and bad decisions can hinder your kiteboarding tremendously. there is a web cam http://home.comcast.net/~jhodgesatmb/thirdavecam.html to see how busy it might be. Safety FIRST!

BryanMichaelMeyer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Am I ready to make the switch from Alameda to 3rd?

Post by BryanMichaelMeyer » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:59 am

When i started a few months ago kiting I went to Alameda 2 times and hated all the idiots at that place. 3rd is where I learned and think it is a great place for that if you have a little athletic ability for the learning process.

vdeub
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by vdeub » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:19 pm

[quote="BryanMichaelMeyer" hated all the idiots at that place[/quote]

looks like your 12th post on this forum .. good start ...

jbirdmarin
Regular
Regular

Post by jbirdmarin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:34 pm

no need for generalizing and name calling - lots of cool cats at Alameda.

adamT
Regular
Regular

Post by adamT » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:09 pm

Also if you find yourself alone at the upper launch I have installed a chain on the giant log/wood-beam a the top of the bay. You can clip your Chick-loop into it and bring your kite down the window and it will bounce around allowing you to run over to it.. I would recommend practicing launching before depending on it for landing in questionable circumstances..

There is also an eye bolt on the small log, but in high winds that can get dragged making it less straightforward to land or launch..

Adam

PS
1) I have been collecting a nice array of broken glass from around the large log, but still be careful you don't want your kite bouncing on jagged glass fragments..
2) Also use at your own risk. the carabiner is a bit rusty and can get stuck open..
Naish - Torch (11m) <Helix as backup>
Still looking for the perfect board

adamT
Regular
Regular

Post by adamT » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:10 pm

Naish - Torch (11m) <Helix as backup>
Still looking for the perfect board

tanker223
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tanker223 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:12 pm

I think the hardest part of riding a new spot is just adapting to the new scenery and conditions. For instance, at Alameda, you expect to see the shack or the point when you turn back to shore, and you expect it to be in a certain location to help you gauge upwind progress. You also come to know the wind and the way it caps on the water. When you switch spots, the hardest part is learning a new set of clues. What feels like 20 kts at home for some reason always feels different somewhere new, even if it's down the street. I say, if you are comfortable going upwind when you are on the same size kite as everyone else who is upwind with you, then move on... and ask the locals at 3rd (while of course avoiding the "athletic" ones who believe that people who come from Alameda are idiots) what they reccommend, you'll be cool!
I would avoid getting way out in the channel at 3rd.... I dont know much about the conditions out there, but I have seen a couple USCG choppers out there saving our asses. Anyone have a good understanding of the troubles out there, other than the current and bigger surf? I am admittedly NOT a local at 3rd.
And I agree with the Yuri.... Last chance beach is not a good place to experiment when you are new to third. Unless you want to put on a show for the Peanut Gallery on the access road. :)

Colin
Colin