BAK 2016 Snowkite Trip

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
Kyle
Regular
Regular
BAK 2016 Snowkite Trip

Post by Kyle » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:47 am

Hey everyone, I am helping Brad Gordon plan a long weekend trip to the Bighorn Range in Wyoming. I met brad snowkiting in Idaho 4 years ago, where he based his Thermal Foundation Snowkite Adventures. We're looking for a few more people to fill a group of ~7, dates TBD. But all food, lodging, transportation from JAK to be included for ~$750. Aside from the very reasonable price, it's awesome to have someone with local knowledge plan everything and be available for guidance and support. If you're interested in joining, shoot me a PM or email me wind@ so we can note any blackout dates you might have and schedule accordingly. Looking at late feb-early march. More info on Brad and the Thermal Foundation below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exM7-9wASgM[/video]
https://www.facebook.com/Thermal-Founda ... 314083601/

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Re: BAK 2016 Snowkite Trip

Post by Kyle » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:09 am

Tentative dates are March 17-20, and 24-27th. Price is $700 for 3 nights including all meals and even a micro-beer pony keg:) There will be snowcats and snowmobiles available for support, along with a "mobile warming hut!" PM me for more details or to reserve a spot!

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Re: BAK 2016 Snowkite Trip

Post by Kyle » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:22 pm

Due to the amazing conditions this year, the lodge is requesting deposits for the trip by the end of this week. I am posting a few more teasers below, there are still a few spots left so PM me with any questions would be fun to have some more Bay Area Kiters!

The Beta:

Dates: Back to back Weekends March 17-20th and March 24th-27th (you get to pick your weekend, limit 10 guests per trip, preferably 7 guests). If these date don't work we can go the week before, but the trip weekends have to be consecutive. Because I can't stay out there that long.

The snowkiting: The Big Horns are big and epic, the Jackson Hole Kiters/ and Montana's Noah Potriz started kiting this place about five years ago, I took my first trip out there three years ago to check the hype. It's no joke, this place has it all. Big amphitheater bowls, gentle gliding hills, beginners flats, wind lip kickers, cold dry powder, and endless kiting terrain, we can ride a different spot everyday. Most of the kiting is just 1 mile from the main lodge. This is what makes this place ideal, it's snowkite paradise, period.
Current Condition: As of 1/18/2016 they have a 4' foot base, low snowpack is not a concern this year! At 9500' snow stays cold and dry, average day time temps are around 19-22 degrees and windy almost every day out of SW. Puffy Jacket and three base layers are a must in WY...you know the drill. Bring your biggest kite, but they may have pre-frontal 9m day from time to time.
The Big Horns are located 9500' east of Levell ,WY. The lodging is called Wyoming Hi Country. They have new management and starting to see more and more Snowkiter. Jim the managers started to kite last year and he is getting better and better with each session. The food is excellent, and they only caterer to big groups. They'll be serving three full meals a day exclusively for us. Tri-tip brisket, home made lasagna, Thai Curry Chicken, and salads kinda meals. Jim's wife is vegetarian so if you have any dietary restriction they can accommodate those requests.
More cool stuff, we are planning for non stop action, we have access to the lodges two Snowcats! Yes, you will be shuttles out each day in a Snowcat, how cool is that? We are also using a Polaris Ranger to shuttle all our gear in and out the first and last day (these are the logistics that you don't have to worry about) We'll get you out kiting the first day guaranteed! Also, we are going to tow out to a “mobile warming haute” for your comfort. Come on... how sweet is that!!!!
As for safety or rescue situation, Jim and I and on the same page with extra snowmobile support, him and I are going to be on radio contact if we need extra shuttles or if someone needs EMS (ride smart people were in the B.C) Local search and rescue crews can be called if something like that arises. So rest assure you are in wild country, but we have your back, the good thing is that the Avi danger isn't that bad because of the lower angle terrain conducive for snowkiting and wind. Still you need to use good judgment, nobody will care how big you went if you break yourself!

Flights in/out:

So this is the tricky part, I researched flights and they are averaging $165-200 (coming from SF, Canada, Seattle) most flights arrive in P.M. So we need to arrive Wednesday night the day before the trip starts. So that way I can pick up first thing 8:00 am on Thursday morning so we can have a full day of kiting. Flights out should be after 5pm at least. So you are responsible for getting to Billing International Airport the night before. There are several cheap motels near the Airport, I can coordinate that as well later.

2016 Big Horns Snowkite Trip includes:

All transportation provided with driver from Billing, MT to Venue (8 passenger vehicle)
Three nights accommodations WY Hi-Country Lodge (one bed per guest main lodge or cabin)
Full catered event: Full-breakfast, lunch, and three/four course dinners. Non-alcoholic beverages provided
Snowcat shuttle 2x daily to and from Snowkite staging area (returns after lunch and EOD).
Limited individual “snowmobile support” from your snowkite guide (kitemare rescue, time savers/pointers/general support(short shuttle back to main shuttle).
1 complimentary micro-brew pony keg provided for the appreciation of returning Thermal Foundation guests.
Full access to 10 person hot tub and “mobile warming haute”

All inclusive: $700.00 per person (includes WY tax)

Not included:

Air fare or transportation to Billing, MT
Accommodation night before trip.
Additional alcohol
Gratuity to guide (at your discretion, suggested 5% of trip cost)

Rate are quoted for seven or more guests per trip, 50% cancellation fee applies if guest cancels seven day before trip date, 100% fee if within 72 hours of trip.
Trip payments will be sent via Popmoney/Paypal email request (online transfer.)
100% Trip deposit required by Feb 20th, 2016

As of right now there are 8 people added on the VIP list: We only have capacity for 20 total guest for both weekends. It's encouraged to invite your friends. Trips may have mix groups. So I am leaving it up to you to organize your friends or come solo?

Thank you, and hope to see you in the Big Horns! Please call or text if you have any questions.
therminal B 2.jpg
Terrain
therminal B 2.jpg (20.44KiB)Viewed 6111 times
main Lodge.jpg
accommodations
main Lodge.jpg (160.71KiB)Viewed 6111 times