Trip Report / Camas Prairie, ID

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
Kyle
Regular
Regular
Trip Report / Camas Prairie, ID

Post by Kyle » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:56 pm

Next weekend (Feb 22/23) is shaping up to be epic conditions on the Camas Prairie outside of Boise Idaho. I just booked flights leaving Friday AM returning Monday in time to be back in the office before 10:00AM. This is the site of the annual Snowkite Solider event, which hasn't happened in a few years. I had a good time there in 2012, and I'm looking forward to retuning with better conditions along with the NW Kite crew. If anyone would like to join, I am thinking of renting a car and cabin at Soldier Mountain Ranch. Let me know if you're interested!

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... wFucF5dDk0

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: BAK Snowkite Trip NEXT WEEKEND!

Post by OliverG » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:01 pm

That sounds pretty rad for sure! I've been to Skyline, Utah 3 times but never anywhere else to snowkite. I know some of the other guys here have been to Idaho and reports are good. Hope to see some pics of the trip maybe on the upcoming twitter/FB/Instagram features of the site here soon! MJ0_

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:31 am

Skyline is epic right now!!!
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:46 pm

Skyline is epic indeed. The Camas is a bit more mellow, lower altitude, with more gradual features. It is supposed to snow ALL WEEK, and clear up for the weekend. The video below shows what it's like at the moment, before the storm. Soldier Mtn Ranch is wide open, PM me if you'd like to join the cabin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg66dac ... r_embedded[/video]

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:17 pm

Just wanted to post a little mid-trip report because anyone desperately needing a snowkite session, this is a great option given the poor conditions we're seeing at home. I'm having a great trip reconnecting with the NWKite crew, and the conditions and terrain are awesome!

The Boise flight leaves San Jose at 11:30 and lands just after 2:00pm thanks to the time change. Even after waiting for baggage, picking up the rental car, and stopping by the grocery store on my way out town, I was rigging up my 13m foil by 4:00pm in time for a great hour+ sunset sesh. The video below captures my Friday.

Today saw stronger winds (rode a depowerd 10m foil) over the awesome terrain of Pine Turnoff. With two sessions I covered almost 40 miles of the Camas Prairie over dust on crust, frozen rivers, and the epic pow stashes on the leeward side of the rolling hills. This is awesome terrain, and when the conditions line up as they have, it rivals Skyline.

Some of the other benefits include:
- It's cheap. flights are half the cost of those to SLC, rental cars are $15/day, and a room at the Prairie Inn is $70/night.
- You can buy beer anywhere. Good beer.
- Logistics are super easy, which allows you to plan a trip last minute when conditions line up. You can also have an awesome full weekend of kiting only missing a half days work on Friday. Flight back to SJC is Monday 8:00am, with a 1 hour gain, you can be back at your desk before 10AM.
- It is a nice break from the density of the Bay Area, and a real detox. This area is far less populous than Park City or Provo, if you're really looking to get away from things.

If anyone is interested in a trip next winter let me know, we can get a sticky going and monitor conditions, make at an annual event for the BAK tribe!

http://vimeo.com/87351442[/video]
*** internet was a bit spotty, may need to re-upload this when I get home