Tyler from sierra snowkite on Tahoe TV!

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
le noun
Old School
Old School
Tyler from sierra snowkite on Tahoe TV!

Post by le noun » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:20 am

Props to tyler! He looks great on the screen! }|&#
If you haven't met him then you should totally make Sierra snowkite one of your destination this winter. Such a cool cat. MJ0_

http://www.youtube.com/v/p3c7dSj7t2g?hl ... on=3&rel=0

More info here: http://www.sierrasnowkite.com
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

1618to1
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Tyler from sierra snowkite on Tahoe TV!

Post by 1618to1 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:52 am

I just met Tyler at the Snowbomb event held at ATT Park. Super nice guy. I'm really looking forward to making it out this season and excited to know there's a Winter kiting option that's closer than Utah and Mexico. Last year we made it out to Utah but got skunked.

Now I just need to decide if I stick with snowboarding for this or learn how to ski.

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Never been snowkiting, however i think it would be easier with a snowboard if that is already how you play in the snow.

I'm a skier and would prefer to snow kite with my skis, but think it would be easy with a snowboard as well.
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:52 pm

Let's hope that we get some good coverage this year. I really wanted to try last year but so little snow meant the few times it was worth getting up to Tahoe, I didn't want to risk it and get skunked by bad winds when I could be on the slopes. Mostly headed to Kirkwood this year and really interested in trying a few spots near by.
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

jzderm
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jzderm » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:54 pm

I visited sierra snowkite last year. Loved it. I will be back again this year. Be sure to call Tyler on his cell for the wind forecast before making the trip. His number is on the website.

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:09 pm

Definitely stick to whatever you know, skis are cool cause you can skate and walk around, makes life easier if you're crashing your kite and relaunching all the time. Tahoe snowkiting is hard to forecast, IMO you head out to go downhilling, keep and eye on the wind and stop by to see if its doable. There are a few venues that can work depending on where you're going.

If you can kite and ski/snowboard you can snowkite. My first time (in Idaho) I launched my 12M, headed strait up a hill to some cliffbands and boosted off the lip... Its a super dope sport... be ready to get skunked a little though as mountain winds are hard to predict.

Camas Valley, Idaho and Jackson Hole, Wyoming are the best places in the states (I've never been to Wyoming but I think the wind may be more reliable).

Some of you may know Brad Gordon, he's a Pacific NW rider who sponsers some trips up there, I think he will pick groups up from the airport, drive you to Camas, set you up for sleeping accommodations, trek out and chase winds with you, and follow you around on a snowmobile. It's nice to have someone show you the ropes out there as its not exactly trivial. http://vimeo.com/19305152
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

kitewing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitewing » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:29 pm

Skis are definitely easier if you are just starting out. The body position is a little weird since your upper body is usually turned 90 degrees from your skis, and in that sense, it's harder / different than a snowboard, but aside from that, having both of your feet independent, and having the ability to skate and move around freely makes learning to snowkite easier by an order of magnitude, at least when you're starting out.

I think you can hold an edge better on skis and boost higher too.

I like both - I'm more of a skier so usually do that, but each is fun in its own way. More toys == more fun!
Last edited by kitewing on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kites:
Ozone Edge, Ocean Rodeo Razor
Ozone Frenzy, Flysurfer Speed 3

jzderm
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jzderm » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:45 pm

I did a snowkite trip with Brad Gordon last year. It was fantastic! I highly recommend. If u r new to the sport but r familiar with kiting, he will take care of u.

windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by windstoked » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:23 pm

We tried snowkiting the Sierra last winter and mostly got skunked. It was a bad snow year, and the winds were off and on.
We did a March trip to Skyline, Utah and Telluride, Colorado and had a blast. I thought it was more fun than kiting on the water.
I tried both skis and a board, and I had more control with the skis. Also, the snowboard boots were killing my calves, and then I talked with Peter Miller at Skyline (one of the snowkiting pros) and he said he doesn't lace his boots up above the ankle. It's unlike downhill boarding where you need the boots laced up tight for the ankle support for setting an edge.