OB wind senser

Local weather resources and topics.
Piotrp
Contributor
Contributor
OB wind senser

Post by Piotrp » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:09 pm

I had an interesting email exchange with Mike Godsey - our iKitesurf metereologist and weather guru. I asked him about the ways to best judge/forecast winds at OB. I'm including here his suggestion that seems very interesting, but - of course - will require co-operation of all OB enthusiast and - most of all - those of you who live, or work on Great Highway, or very near.

Here it is:
Actually I think I could get the company to put in and Ocean Beach sensor if we could find a location where the sensor would be accurate. Sometime on a windy day could you take a walk from the beach to the front row of houses and see how much of a wind shadow is created by the sea wall etc. Pass the work around that we are looking for a sensor location. Maybe someone has a house along the beach.

hardy
Joey
Joey

Post by hardy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:25 pm

and this would be part of paid ikitesurf service i guess. why not just gather the money for the sensor and we can have real time readings for free. those things are not that expensive especially if its doesn't need to be wireless. we just need someone who lives there and we could install it on his rooftop or balcony.

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:36 pm

$300 for the gear on wunderground.com, then you can hook it up to your internet and become a weather station.

Godsey's typos are even worse in his emails than in his forecasts...
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:50 pm

While on the same topic, maybe you can talk him into posting his forecasts for ocean beach like he does for other spots in the "Meterologist Forecast". I asked ikite a few times in the past, no response. Maybe if more of us ask they will do it. Its not the same forecast as Crissy, there are many days that Crissy blows and OB does not.

hardy
Joey
Joey

Post by hardy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:09 pm

i know a lot of people who is landboarding and buggying (including me) at OB and i think almost all of them would put some money into this. $300 split between 20-30 people (maybe more) is really not that much. you can count me in.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:41 pm

i don't think you'd have too much trouble finding people to put up the money-

the bigger issue is where would you put the sensor? This is what godsey is getting at. I'm all for getting an ikitesurf sensor at OB. I pay for the membership, so if he wants to put in a sensor i'm all for it!!!
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

Endlestorm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Endlestorm » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:45 am

The Chalet would be a great spot, tall building and even closer to the beach than the houses. Anyone know some important people there?

The Cliff house too would probably accurately represent the rest of the beach (though maybe a little stronger and gustier up on that bluff). Surely someone must know the managers/owners of these restaurants?

-Britt

hardy
Joey
Joey

Post by hardy » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:56 pm

i think the only problem with restaurant and public places is how you get those readings online. we need fellow kiter or windsurfer who knows what is going on and he is able to host this service.

ob-kc.com
Joey
Joey

Re: OB wind senser

Post by ob-kc.com » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:51 pm

Try this ;-)

http://ob-kc.com/index.html

Hugh