GoJoe's!!!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
stone
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: GoJoe's!!!

Post by stone » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:26 pm

I'm gonna wear a go-joe under my boardshorts.

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:29 pm

stone wrote:I'm gonna wear a go-joe under my boardshorts.
=D> =D> =D>
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

maxsteamer
Regular
Regular

Post by maxsteamer » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:41 pm

Hello Kiters,

I found a pump- up drink holder with a pocket for ice ?? now I have to find a way to put the velcro on the bottom to attach it to the board ?? I called the company and they said they would run with the idea if I could show them a market for the device. Go-Max :)
http://www.cautionkites.com

Zombie
Spitfire
Trespass
DaKine
O'Neill

The111
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by The111 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:39 pm

friggin old guy wrote:Some people think they can retard (oops bad word) progression by reducing the consequences of becoming separated from the board.
I have spoken to quite a few newbies who are afraid to try anything radical because they are afraid of getting separated from their board. So it sounds like you have it backwards. If you reduce the consequences of getting separated from a board... you ACCELERATE progression, not retard it. I am not sure how this simple fact could be up for debate. My first 20 or 30 jump attempts, I ended up very far downwind from my board sometimes. Almost lost it twice.
friggin old guy wrote:Metrosexuals will jump on kiting (ok maybe that's a bad thing.)
I agree that metros are silly... but if you think metros wear pink polka dots, you have them confused with some other group (clowns, perhaps?).

maxsteamer
Regular
Regular

Post by maxsteamer » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:48 pm

Hello The111,

Dam!!! That is SOOO COOL ...I think those suits work just like our kites!!
http://www.cautionkites.com

Zombie
Spitfire
Trespass
DaKine
O'Neill

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:29 am

I think metrosexuals would wear neon pink polka dotted wetsuits under their best boardshorts if they thought it gave them a shot at appearing in the next issue of Vogue or GQ

ok so if neon pink polka dotted wetsuits won't go, at least neon pink polka dotted go joes? Maybe with a little CO2 inflation cartidge.....Stone - could make it easier to put on under your boardshorts since you could inflate it after putting it on........a manual inflation tube probably more functional, though.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:41 am

Back in my competitive /traveling days, sometimes locals (surfers) would give me shit for my EXTREMELY colorful wetsuit and board, my response was to SURF CIRCLES around the haters in their Zoot suits.. Oh- ThAt ReaLLY PiSSeD a FeW of THeM OFF :lol: :lol: :lol:

I found most people who give others a hard time for something are having a hard time dealing with "it" themselves.

Why not just, Live and let live-
Gregory Burton Boyington

discojuggernaut
Contributor
Contributor

Post by discojuggernaut » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:50 am

I started out without a "board retrieval device" when learning. Then I had a yard sale one day and almost lost my precious first new +$700 board. Then I started using a reel leash. Then I saw the horror stories and busted teeth and face pix on kiteforum. Then I ditched the leash and got a GoJoe (one of the older neon orange ones). Then I got better at body dragging and ditched it.

It helps and it's like talking to your kids about sex; you can preach abstinence, but if they're going to have sex, you want them to use protection. Well the gopro doesn't provide protection per se, but it's a MUCH safer alternative to using to leash, which I still see a lot of people using nowadays.

Beginners are too concentrated on the kite, the power, and riding in control that they have a hard time keeping track of the board. Especially when they go around the horn or forget to redirect on a jump or don't pop and travel super far horizontally directly under the kite. It's like what they teach at motorcycle school; you only have so much attention to spend, and most beginners are spending it on their own bodies and the kite; the board is an afterthought. If this goofy looking but functional devices helps them devote more of their attention to the more important aspects, then fantastic. I guess that we're all safer in the long run, and it's better for someone that's trolling to get out of the water to smooth out the rotation.

If you listened to what everyone said was gay and not gay about the sport you'd be riding a surfboard with wake boots (and kite pants)

The111
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by The111 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:52 am

friggin old guy wrote:I think metrosexuals would wear neon pink polka dotted wetsuits under their best boardshorts if they thought it gave them a shot at appearing in the next issue of Vogue or GQ
There is a certain level of irony in poking fun at people for wanting to appear in fashion magazines, while simultaneously caring so much about fashion yourself.

I have been involved in a lot of niche sport communities, and there are always weird unexpected political debates with each one. If somebody had told me before I started kiting that the hardcore guys would spend their time arguing about fashion, I would have laughed. Not what I expected.

Here's my new hero, for not giving a shit. +1 for the mickey mouse gojoe. Image stolen from kiteforum.

baypirate
Regular
Regular

Post by baypirate » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:06 pm

The111 wrote: I have spoken to quite a few newbies who are afraid to try anything radical because they are afraid of getting separated from their board.
I thought "radical" means things like getting higher than your kite on kite loops.

Being a Smart Alec aside, there is one thing to (wrongly) assume that anybody sporting a Go Joe is a (trouble-prone) newbie and another to argue that one can work more confidently on say boosting big while still self-doubting her board retrieval skills b/c hey, I have a Joe Going for me...