GoJoe's!!!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: GoJoe's!!!

Post by Thor29 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:40 pm

Hey Old Guy,

Relax. I won't make you put a GoJoe on your board. Sounds like if someone installed one on your board you would gnaw it off with your teeth if there wasn't a screwdriver handy. Your hatred for something you don't need is quite impressive.

I think you and a lot of people misunderstand GoJoes. They really don't magically bring the board to you. You still have to bodydrag to the board quite often Trust me - I have learned how to bodydrag just fine.

I'm not "afraid" of getting separated from my board. So there's nothing "to get over". It's just incredibly inconvenient and timewasting and could be expensive if I don't find the board eventually.

At least I didn't buy a leash, which was actually recommended to me by someone at a local kite shop... I can only imagine the spitting venom I would hear about that. The horror!

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:51 pm

Gojoes work awesome on raceboards!!!
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

jbirdmarin
Regular
Regular

Post by jbirdmarin » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:11 pm

I now have one on the top of my van so I can find it in the parking lot.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:12 pm

I don’t use a gojoe, but I don’t know why people are so up in arms. Who cares how it looks? If it makes it easy to find a board then why not. I lost a board a few years ago in big chop and had to body drag at least a quarter mile, gojoe could have helped then.

If it helps getting the board downwind, only a little bit, even better. A minute of body dragging is a minute less kiteboarding.

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:59 pm

I had a feeling I'd be branded a "hater" for expressing a simple opinion. Blackbird, good bait. You knew somebody would come out and say it eventually. The idea presented that people who think they look dorky just don't understand them (they're pretty dang complicated) is just annoying.

grumpy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by grumpy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:31 pm

I don't use a GoJoe, but I got a hella nice Pam Anderson blow up doll.

maxsteamer
Regular
Regular

Post by maxsteamer » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:30 am

Hello Kiters,

I think the name and look of the go-joe is what were talking about here?? I spoke with a CG guy that lives in the the condo complex here and he said they were able to find a kiter swimming who lost his kite and bar because they saw the board with a go-joe on it ..had they not seen the go-joe the guy would surely have drowned..Now I also ran into a board that I didn't see in the water although it only put a dent in my board it could have been worse? The idea of the device is to be able to find your board but you still have to body drag back to it... so I fail to see what this thread is tying to say??? #-o
http://www.cautionkites.com

Zombie
Spitfire
Trespass
DaKine
O'Neill

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:38 am

I think this thread illustrates how political correctness can polarize simple discussions.

Some people like go joes because they make them feel more comfortable when they're beginning and believe they reduce time separated from their board.

Some people think they can retard (oops bad word) progression by reducing the consequences of becoming separated from the board.

Most people agree that it makes the board easier to find.

Some people think they look sort of stupid.

Some people are reluctant to say they look stupid because they will be automatically branded as small minded misanthropes with emotional disorders for criticizing the look of something that can in some cases promote safety.

With this in mind, I'd like to promote the use of neon pink polka dotted wetsuits. They increase visibility of kiters, and all levels of would benefit. No need for strobes at Crissy. Sharks would avoid them like the plague. Metrosexuals will jump on kiting (ok maybe that's a bad thing.) Anybody that deems to say that neon pink polka dot wetsuits look totally ridiculous should keep their mouth shut as clearly they don't understand the pure functionality of them and might compromise the safety of their fellow kiters.

Truth of the matter is, I honestly don't think anybody cares that much one way or another whether people use go joes, but that doesn't change the fact that quite a few people do think they look funny.

To each their own.

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:54 am

SAFETY FIRST!!!!
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:14 pm

Where can I get a neon pink polka dotted wetsuit?