New Kite recommendations?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Sonny
Resident
Resident
Re: New Kite recommendations?

Post by Sonny » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:14 pm

kitedavis wrote:Hi Folks,
Just at the end of this season, I picked up a 7m 2008 Rebel because I was tired of sitting out on the few days that it went over 30. Thought I would use it only a few times of year, maybe. I've used it about half a dozen times in the last few weeks, because it turns out it works down to maybe 17 or 18 mph. It is fun throughout its whole wind range. With this incredible range, and since its so fun to ride, I'm wondering if I will ever get my old 10m out of the bag again. I could conceivably use just the 7m and then revert to my old 14m for when it gets really light.

The point of all this is that I think if you buy newish kites, and you don't have unlimited funds, having kites in 2m increments (e.g., 11m and 9m or 12m and 10m) may be too much overlap. If you go in 3m increments, you will probably get a greater overall wind range and still have the "right" kite most of the time. Do others agree?
Maybe this is true with most bow kites (I don't know since I don't ride a bow kite) but I found that in the past the kites have a sweet spot and even though it will work outside of that sweet spot, it just wasn't as fun.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

recoprianto
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by recoprianto » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:41 pm

And very few kite companies make kites in 3m increments. You are typically stuck with 4m increments right? I guess if you have a quiver of boards and kites, you an get creative by mixing and matching them.

Anything is possible, but you may end up sitting while others are kiting.

yojimbo
Regular
Regular

Post by yojimbo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:43 pm

I originally bought a 12m, then got a 16m for light wind days, and then as I got better I got an 8m.

I am now down to an 8 meter and a 13 meter. My next acquisition will be a floatier board for the super light wind days.

My goal has always been to go the opposite way of windsurfing which seems to require a ton of equipment.

Also, I originally had a 3/2 spring suit, then i got a shorty, and now I just purchased a 5/3 full suit for those cold winter days.

tomcai
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tomcai » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:12 pm

yojimbo wrote:I originally bought a 12m, then got a 16m for light wind days, and then as I got better I got an 8m.
Totally agree. My weight is 165lbs and I learned on 12m in May and June (stronger wind than what we see last few weeks). Now my everyday kite is 9m. Two reasons: 1) New kites are more efficient 2) Better skills make kiting more efficient. I bought a 6m for next Spring at 3rd or Waddle.

michael
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by michael » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:17 am

So, it sounds like the general consensus is that 10m, 11m, or 12m would be the best bet depending on the kite.
10m is good ONLY as a one-kite quiver. It's low end and upper end are not the best, so sooner or later you will end up with 3-kite quiver to cover both.

If you start with 12-13m size, you will only need to add one more kite for strong winds later on. Besides, I rarely see 10m in Alameda, normally it's 13-16m.

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:06 pm

Wow, you guys fly big kites. I fly a one kite quiver; 6m eclipse Nano. Now it will be the 6m Eclipse Kima for 2009. But then again, I like riding in the waves. I do seem to have a pretty easy time at Crissy though on my 6m when most are on 9/12m. Often times I find myself flying all the way back to the beach while the bigger kites are swimming...

But since you're asking, the 10/12m Eclipse Thrusters are definitely worth checking out for our Bay conditions. I just got back from Hatteras where I was able to fly all the 2009 product from Eclipse... sick!
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

michael
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by michael » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:26 pm

10m, then 9m, and now 6m. Anyone with a 5m as one-kite quiver?

I am sure there are places in Brazil where 5m is one-kite quiver, so let's recommend 5m, too. Maybe G-man only asks about 3rd Ave and Alameda, but later on decides to move to Brazil, so he won't spread bad word about wrong recommendations he was gives on this forum. #-o

vant20
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by vant20 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Actually it is probably cheaper to buy a good sawing machine. So you can get by with a 12m, a pair of scissors and the sawing machine. Always have the right kite for the conditions, be it 5.23m or 10.92m :idea:

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:28 pm

G-man, poor guy's all confused now... just my 2 cents ... go with Sonny and Adamrod's recommendations since you are mostly going to ride at 3rd Avenue.

If the kite reps are willing to let you try their kites, take advantage of the offer and try their kites, it is rare for kite representatives to let beginners try out their kites for free.

vant20 wrote:Actually it is probably cheaper to buy a good sawing machine. So you can get by with a 12m, a pair of scissors and the sawing machine. Always have the right kite for the conditions, be it 5.23m or 10.92m :idea:
That's a good idea vant20, I think you can add zippers to your kites in specific sections, that way, you can morph to different sizes.
michael wrote: Anyone with a 5m as one-kite quiver?
Hey michael, I actually sometimes ride my 5 meter Caution kite in Alameda with 16 mph winds and a 9 foot long board, I'm 170 lbs, and I do able to go upwind because there's just too much board surface to ride with. If I end up downwind at McDonald's, its easy to deflat the kite and just walk back up with my board.

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:40 pm

My old kites have zippers, they seem to depower slightly when they are unzipped about 1 meter 8(7) 10(9) 13(12) i am 200lbs.
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils