Sherman Island

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
loserdavies
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Sherman Island

Post by loserdavies » Thu May 15, 2008 7:47 am

So I see all this North wind at Sherman this morning. Since the camera's is out (At least the one I know of) was it ridable this morning?

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu May 15, 2008 7:51 am

Funny, I was just going to ask, what is north like at sherman? Is that still side/on from the other direction?

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Thu May 15, 2008 7:57 am

My first session this year was in North in March on 9m. You basically launch from the North side and head kinda straight toward Kitopia. It was really gusty though. If it was more steady, would be great.
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Thu May 15, 2008 8:11 am

never done it,its really gusty and i ve seen people get blown out into the lake, long walk back. I have also seen people make it look easy. i heard windy cove on north wind but the launch is gone and fenced off.

bayardo8
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bayardo8 » Thu May 15, 2008 8:49 am

looks like we all had the same question this morning!
manuel

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu May 15, 2008 8:50 am

but north is not offshore,right?

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Thu May 15, 2008 9:11 am

North blows into the lakes, if you break down your going to one of the islands. That tranzlates into a few walks , some swamping and a few short swims back to The Access. (UNLESS you go deep into the lakes- then your REALLY SCREWED without back-up your in for a very long haul-out)
I've kited Windy Cove a few times, it's ok. When you come in, sail around the corner and drop your kite in the reeds, you'll be right next to shore.

Personally I might try T.I..
Enjoy, G.

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Thu May 15, 2008 9:27 am

north wind blew the sail boat there, the playpen is side onshore i have seen people launch there 2 years ago but once you get out LMG is right your going to the lake, i saw one guy come in the boat ramp.
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Thu May 15, 2008 9:44 am

I have done it a few times several years ago, you are risking having a very bad experiance, I was very lucky to get back to the launch, a lot of work.

Do not do it without boat support or we could be reading about you in the paper. Headline" Kiter missing for a week found dround by the antioch bridge"

:(

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Thu May 15, 2008 12:58 pm

North wind at Sherman comes mostly across land, the hills on the north side of the river, which makes it really turbulent (gusty) because the river isn't wide enough to smooth it out before it gets to the launch.

Folsom and Berryessa are better on north wind because the wind comes across miles of water before hitting the beach. Still up and down but not as much turbulence. Also, the launches are side-on, so less of a problem with getting stuck downwind.

Anyway you slice it, though, there's nothing smooth and steady about hot, dry wind that is blowing across hundreds of miles of hot land before it hits your kite, even if it does get mellowed out a bit by some water.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.