Should I buy this landboard?...

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Ringo*
Contributor
Contributor
Should I buy this landboard?...

Post by Ringo* » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:09 pm

Hey all.

I just moved to the OB and bought a 3.5m Pro Foil to get started in this awesome-looking sport. I thought I might try landboarding to begin with since it looks rather accessible and eventually move to the water.

Here is my question: I found a good condition MBS Comp 16 that I can get for $200. Should I take it?

By the way, I am 5'7", 160 pounds

I hope this is the right forum...

wjb
Resident
Resident

Post by wjb » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:38 pm

That is a pretty good deal as they are 400.00 new. You can also hit powerkiteforum.com.

http://www.mbs.com/productcart/pc/viewC ... ategory=27

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:06 am

Ringo,
Go for it!
Land boarding is pretty easy to get going and not at all hard to go upwind after a little while. Water boarding works much the same but required alot more power so learning with less power requirement is good... but doing it over land is harder on your bones so you really have to pick your poison.
I would suggest getting some REALLY REALLY good pads and a helmit (thats a "helmut" for speeling impaired kiters).
Try not to turn yourself into a ball of beef jerky.. its awefull hard to bend your knees with hugh scabs for knee caps.
Hopefully I'll see you on the water this spring.
Greg

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:59 am

It's a solid board, I think I have an older model of that. At $200 it really depends on the condition. Check for the wood and the coating. The varnish falls at some point the wood cracks. If the board was ridden on a beach, rust will eat the metals. If the board looks beat up look for a better deal. People buy those and have no idea what do with them.

To be honest those boards last, unless they were ridden a lot or in wet conditions.

It's a good way to start. If you can get moving comfortably on the board and then try with a harness, kite control will be a non issue when get to the water. You can get beat up on land, so start slow. Good advice on helmet, I also used shin guards.

Ringo*
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ringo* » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:49 am

well, it turns out the board has seen it's fair share of use and indeed the varnish is a bit worn and I noticed some rust. thanks for the encouragement... I'm gonna keep looking and hope to get set up and running soon. Until then I'll just take out the kite and start to learn the movement.
thx for the encouragement, everyone!- hope to see you out there soon.
Ringo