Insurance for rental cars ventana?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
marina cc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Insurance for rental cars ventana?

Post by marina cc » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:43 am

Does anyone know if you can get car rental insurance in US for rental cars out of Baja? Or are we at mercy of car rental companies down there?

K. Cliff
Regular
Regular

Post by K. Cliff » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:06 am

Ya, You have to buy thier insurance. I met a guy who went to one of those time share things for an hour and got a car for practicaly nothing. Grin and bear it. It would be nice to have a car for the no wind day's.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:49 pm

we got 3rd party insurance which saved us a bit . . .i think it was travelmex or something like that. Some rental agencies charge you some other fees as well. When I did the math, advantage rental car with 3rd party insurance is probably your best bet. Then again, if you get in an accident, I have no idea how easy it'll be to get that insurance company to pay up.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:26 pm

That might be worthwhile if you can get 3rd party rental car insurance. Last year I remember thinking the rental car rates seemed like such a deal, but when you get hit with their insurance rates, it ends up being the same or even more than what you'd pay here.

Scotty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Scotty » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:43 am

If you have an American Express card and use it towards the rental, Amex has a policy that includes the Collision Damage Waiver. Check with Amex before doing it to see if they cover for Mexico.

teabagger
Joey
Joey

Post by teabagger » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:16 am

Want a good deal on your rental car in Mexico? When negociating rates at the counter, slip the agent some cash, and the prices come down pretty fast.

Big Al
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Big Al » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:35 pm

In my experience with renting a car in Baja, they won't honor the Amex insurance. I tried to tell them that I was covered, but they refused to rent me a car without paying their $15 / day insurance.

I think teabagger is probably right... grease the counter agent and you can probably get a deal...

W84Wind
Contributor
Contributor

Rental Insurance at San Jose Del Cabo...

Post by W84Wind » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:11 am

The best way to find a rental car is online. I usually go to www.avis.com or www.travelocity.com .

Book online with all your options and any desired insurance.

They will gouge you for extras if you make changes or add things (like insurance or child seats) at the airport - just like they do in the U.S.

Check with your credit card for the insurance that they cover.
My Mastercard covers all damage to the vehicle (collision and comprehensive) ñ BUT they have very strict requirements in order to provide the coverage, so give them a call.

A certain amount of liability insurance is provided by law with the car. You can buy additional liability coverage if you like.

So, insurance really shouldnít cost you anything if you plan in advance and work with your credit card company.

Brian
http://www.solymarweb.com

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:43 am

i have yet to find a credit card insurance that covers you in mexico . . .
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

W84Wind
Contributor
Contributor

Post by W84Wind » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:21 pm

I called MasterCard to verify and they do provide coverage for rental cars in Mexico. You need to have a Gold, Platinum, or World Master Card. The only countries that are excluded are Jamaica, Ireland, and Israel. The rental insurance agreement can be viewed at
http://www.citibank.com/us/cards/gen-content/en.htm

Safe Travels
Brian