What music to use for a Killer Kite Video?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Kraemer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
What music to use for a Killer Kite Video?

Post by Kraemer » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:10 pm

We will be able to get the rights, so no worries $$$.

What music would you like to hear next time you watch an awesome kite video?

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:12 pm

Good original shit that hasn't been played to death. That's all I ask. The soundtrack is as important as the footage. Choose wisely...
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

Kite Adventures
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Kite Adventures » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:01 am

AND no heavy metal death rock, or played out rap. makes me cringe everytime i hear that!

jono
Regular
Regular

Post by jono » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:22 am

I've been wishing someone would come up with a better way to lay sound on a sport video track, mostly they just pick some song to go with a sequence of shots, then bridge it with something to a resolution in the video. Mtn. bike videos do this, surf, you name it. But, I've been thinking about this and got an idea I'd like to see someone implement.

Some of these (see the NorthKites Rebel promo video) use a crescendo in the music to intro more intense video. That's a start, but consider this...

There are all kinds of house/club/electronica/hiphop/mashup DJs out there just waiting to help with a video. They have all kinds of crazy software that will let them cut, mix, slap, master shit together and some of them know how to use it well.

There is even this thing called Ableton Live some DJs, remixers and producers are using. It allows them to isolate 4-bars, breakdowns, drum fills, etc. with a computer, loop it and take stuff from other songs and put them back together all triggered or muted -- and do this live (it quantizes the trigger so it matches the music).

So, you could provide one of these guys the video and tell them you want this genre of music and they could cut it up so the events in the video directly correlate with the sound on the audio. This really won't sound akward or "mashed" if you get the right DJ or remixer with skillz -- they can pull and push the pitch and tempo to get it to all slide together. Think about some cymbals all looped during a bunch of quick hit video shots, or some kind of rising guitar as the kite loops...They can do this all live while watching the video to make the audio "sync". I think this would make the audio just engulf the viewer.

See here for an example:
http://www.ableton.com/live6-creative-flow

[more demos]
http://www.ableton.com/live6-showcase

I bet some of these guys would even do it free since they love music and want the credit...

BTW, I don't sell ableton, I just want to see someone do this shit...

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:40 am

jono wrote:I've been wishing someone would come up with a better way to lay sound on a sport video track, mostly they just pick some song to go with a sequence of shots, then bridge it with something to a resolution in the video. Mtn. bike videos do this, surf, you name it. But, I've been thinking about this and got an idea I'd like to see someone implement.

Some of these (see the NorthKites Rebel promo video) use a crescendo in the music to intro more intense video. That's a start, but consider this...

There are all kinds of house/club/electronica/hiphop/mashup DJs out there just waiting to help with a video. They have all kinds of crazy software that will let them cut, mix, slap, master s*&t together and some of them know how to use it well.

There is even this thing called Ableton Live some DJs, remixers and producers are using. It allows them to isolate 4-bars, breakdowns, drum fills, etc. with a computer, loop it and take stuff from other songs and put them back together all triggered or muted -- and do this live (it quantizes the trigger so it matches the music).

So, you could provide one of these guys the video and tell them you want this genre of music and they could cut it up so the events in the video directly correlate with the sound on the audio. This really won't sound akward or "mashed" if you get the right DJ or remixer with skillz -- they can pull and push the pitch and tempo to get it to all slide together. Think about some cymbals all looped during a bunch of quick hit video shots, or some kind of rising guitar as the kite loops...They can do this all live while watching the video to make the audio "sync". I think this would make the audio just engulf the viewer.

See here for an example:
http://www.ableton.com/live6-creative-flow

[more demos]
http://www.ableton.com/live6-showcase

I bet some of these guys would even do it free since they love music and want the credit...

BTW, I don't sell ableton, I just want to see someone do this s*&t...
We did this to an extent for WindReels Volume 1 and are doing it again for WindReels Volume 2. We had a friend of ours, Master DJ Rey Reason custom cut some tracks for us after watching a bunch of raw footage. We also used some of his more popular tracks. A good editor will lay down the audio track and build the video timeline and cuts to match the audio. It's much harder to do it the other way around.

You have an editors mind...good ideas!
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:56 am

Wait, you mean Rob Zombie, Metallica, and Crystal Method are not good video music anymore :)

If I make a video just for the local community to watch or I am not making money on it, is it legal to use any music in it? I cant see why it would be a problem if no one was profiting.

And DUDE! that music software rocks! It reminds me of what we always wanted years ago when we did alot of audio editing for our vidoes. thanks for the link.

average_male
Regular
Regular

Post by average_male » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:09 am

I'm with 'Kite Adventures', all these videos you see on kiteboarding are totally juiced-out with loud overbearing music; music should complement the footage, not dominate the viewers attention (perhaps that is what some editors are trying to accomplish), it seems that whatever the video editor's taste in music is, the corresponding type of music is selected; Guess she/he has that right.

All in all, it's an art and there is no right answer.
"Choose wisely..."

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:56 am

I was thinking for the footage yesterday you could use Kris Kross Jump Jump. Kind of cheesey but it would be funny and fitting I think. =D>

jono
Regular
Regular

Post by jono » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:17 pm

windhorny wrote:If I make a video just for the local community to watch or I am not making money on it, is it legal to use any music in it? I cant see why it would be a problem if no one was profiting.

And DUDE! that music software rocks! It reminds me of what we always wanted years ago when we did alot of audio editing for our vidoes. thanks for the link.
Copyright law is very weird right now. But, you can add music to a home video without needing rights (although the girl scouts have to pay to sing campfire songs that are *still* under copyright) and I suppose that home video (check out the home recording rights act) could leak out to the net.

Within copyright law, there is a thing called "fair use". IANAL, but you can generally use copyrighted stuff for personal use or non-commercial use without paying. Music as fair use is sketchy since the RIAA is so evil, suing everyone, etc. But, check on the web and I think you can find some guidelines on fair use. Or, just don't provide any indication of who made what so there is no indication of who to sue.

And, don't think the muscians are getting screwed, they get like $.06 on every dollar from the RIAA (see: http://archive.salon.com/tech/feature/2 ... print.html) -- that's getting screwed. Buy direct from the smaller artists and they keep more of the money.

Anyway, check it out on the net, don't take any advice I've provided because I just know enough to get you in trouble ;).

wjb
Resident
Resident

Post by wjb » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:14 pm

I think I would rather hear good music from smaller artists anyhow (Not that Metallica, Rob Zombie and Crystal Method are not good) Maybe I am out of it but the only place I have ever heard of the band Suzuka was on the Shinn Boost video. I have gone to their website and I like all their stuff and it is currently in heavy rotation on my ipod. I think it is ultimately cooler to introduce new music to the world than to play the same old stuff exclusively.