finally got motivated

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
david
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by david » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:23 pm

al-kite-a wrote:That is me in the 1st 2 pics here is a link to the data(fun w/ GPS) from that session.
http://chr.isbrown.com/last_session/
It is cool to see your tracks ... of course a "regular" kite session could be considered a little boring .... now imagine your map after the Crissy to Pt. Emery downwinder next Saturday !! that might be more impressive. If you are not going, I hope you lend it to someone that is.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:14 pm

I think flying patterens repeadedly, like squares, perfect figure eights (up and down, side to side) and flying the kite over to the side and holding it just a few feet off the ground for fifteen seconds or so on each side is very helpfull. Flying in very light conditions can be very challanging and thus skill producing.
Once you think you've got it wired, close your eyes and try some more. Remember power is your friend, learn how to produce it and how to shut it off, your goal is developing motor skills and muscle memory. Having a friend help with relaunches is nice and replacates side to side relaunch, dont just have them hot launch you. Try lots of very slow controlled flight and begin to develope solid skills early.
Jeff at KWS told me last night about a new student that rode almost across the intire bay on his first lesson!!! Jeff was SUPER STOKED about this guys lesson and I'm sure that was largely due to this students intensive self preperation.
Welcome to Kite Boarding,
L.M.G.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:24 pm

BTW:
I just looked over the photos, the first one is very unique, I think you should try to get it printed, REALLY!
Next look over photo #2, notice the trail of spray, check out how hard it was ebbing. Maybe 4 knots??
Finally look at #3, check out the nice glassy water around Ft.Point, reconize that wind line- think about that trail of bubbles and remember Crissy wont be a good place to go for some time to come...
Internalize that and dont forget it, it might just save your life
L.M.G.

max
Contributor
Contributor

Post by max » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:20 am

cool.. now I have some new things to practice. Since i bought the kite last wed. I've been at crissy field every day for 30mins -1hr... still having trouble with those vertical 8's, but everything else is getting a lot easier. I'm working on the mock water starts and have so far avoided lying down in any piles of sh$t.

LMG: thanks for the compliment on photo #1... maybe ill send it off to a magazine if i can get a model release from al-kite-a :)

i dont understand your point #3.. what does the line of bubbles mean? nasty runoff from all the rain?

does anyone know if KWS does the land lesson on weekdays?

al-kite-a
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by al-kite-a » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:16 pm

Max -- tankers don't scare me. It's pretty ease to predict where they are goings. Just like the GG Towers you just need to keep in mind where they are and that they a wind shadows.
The weekend power boaters are the ones to worry about. Never know how much time they spent at Samís before they decide to go see what's in the Bay.

Dave here is a link to my Crissy to T.I. downwinder on Friday.
http://chr.isbrown.com/portfolio/map/map_kite3.html Donít click with out a fast connection :)
FYI- This is a beta application for sure. Starting to see the max markers I can plot on Yahoo!maps beta with this one.
Once this app is ready for prime time I will give it to any one that wants it.

D
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by D » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:30 pm

max wrote:i dont understand your point #3.. what does the line of bubbles mean? nasty runoff from all the rain?
It's the wind shadow. When you catch a wave at Ft. Point you have to pull out before reaching the wind line, unless you want to swim back out.

Flat-water
Contributor
Contributor

Nice!!

Post by Flat-water » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:45 pm

Max - Things were a little slow around here and I checked out your site..

http://www.maxnanao.com

Some great shots on your site!! =D> The kiting Picture #1 was just a little too good for a 'lucky' shot. Now I know why.

Maybe you should add a kiting section to your website!! :)

-BK

max
Contributor
Contributor

Post by max » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:16 am

thanks a lot!

the kiting shot *was* actually a lucky shot.. we happened to be biking across the bridge, and I happened to have a little digital point and shoot with me.

I'll definitely add a kiting section at some point... I was thinking about going to to crissy with my view camera... The only problem is that wind+sand generally = unhappy cameras :)