Is Caution Kites out of business?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
drroc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Is Caution Kites out of business?

Post by drroc » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:50 pm

As the title says, is Peter out of the kite game?

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Re: Is Caution Kites out of business?

Post by shred_da_gorge » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:01 pm

I remember seeing Peter and Poul here in Hood River at Kiteboarding 4 Cancer... maybe that was a bunch of years ago now but I remember being surprised they were even still in business then. They seem to have become inactive around 2016 or so... web site abandoned, etc. Poul's got a LinkedIn profile if you're inclined to try and connect. Hard to imagine a kite company could survive now without state-of-the-art design software, a supply chain of light and durable and UV-resistant materials, a network of global riders pushing R&D, and a far-east manufacturing partner. You piqued my curiosity so I did some online searching and they were getting beat up as 'Santa Cruz hipsters' only loyal to locals, and maybe that was true but those guys were passionate and skilled watermen who treated me with humility back when I was a newbie bay pole-dancer needing stitchwork on my torn up old Neil Pryde crap... longer ago than I care to mention.

drroc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by drroc » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:19 am

That sort of confirms my suspicion. I guess I'll have to transition to another brand once my kites become long in the tooth.

kalyp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kalyp » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:46 am

They were still selling kites early 2019.
https://www.facebook.com/cautionsantacruz/