Camping at The Sign, Sherman Island

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
FallingWithStyle
Joey
Joey
Camping at The Sign, Sherman Island

Post by FallingWithStyle » Thu May 30, 2019 8:52 pm

I live on the peninsula and occasionally kite at Sherman. I love kiting there, I'd like to spend more time kiting, and less time driving back and forth.

Talking to people about where to stay leads to some suggestions:
1. Stay at the access. I do not have a trailer/RV, and sneaking a tent in there sounds dodgy.
2. Camp at Brannan Island. Unfortunately, Brannan isn't actually that close to Sherman, and I'd like to spend evenings hanging out with kiters/windsurfers as opposed to pounding beers by myself at a campsite.
3. Camp at The Sign. I've anecdotally heard people do this, but when I drive by it seems like trailers. I'm happy to join RVWA or whatever is necessary.

What's The Sign like? Are there other options I'm missing? Thanks!

le noun
Old School
Old School

Re: Camping at The Sign, Sherman Island

Post by le noun » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:37 am

I have pitched a tent before at Sherman.
I only do it on week days and make sure to do it somewhere in the bushes out of everybody's way. Taking it down every day to pitch it back up only at night.
I use one of those "2 seconds" tent from Decathlon, so it's super easy/quick to set up and brake down.
I have asked Minna and indian Bob and they don't mind as long as you don't leave it during the day time. Or at least they used to be. I haven't camped there for a couple of season. I would ask them first and see if they have a different protocol as to where pitch a tent and when (it helps if you buy a season pass for sherman at the same time).
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D