New "Wing" for watersports?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
LuckyLou
Joey
Joey
New "Wing" for watersports?

Post by LuckyLou » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:46 am

Has anyone actually purchased one of these "wings"??? they are all over social right now and wondering which one works the best? I saw this:
https://blog.slingshotsports.com/top-5- ... wing-2019/

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Re: New "Wing" for watersports?

Post by shred_da_gorge » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:33 pm

Tony brought the Wind Weapon back? Interesting... might make for easier self-launching opportunities than laying lines out and augering a cleat. Would be interesting to see how well it performs upwind.

The111
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by The111 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:22 pm

I have not been kiting in almost 2 years, but I was at Crissy Field with wife and friends just chilling today, and there were more people out on wings than kites, foils, or sailboards. Seems to be catching on in popularity?

Didn't look to be very efficient. Probably a dozen guys out on wings and most were barely moving... but one seemed to be generating more power than the rest of them, not sure how. For travel to remote places with no good launch sites, an inflatable SUP + inflatable wing seems like it might be a good combo for some slow speed fun. Keep paddle onboard so it doesn't matter if you end up downwind.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:40 am

I wasn't really interested in the whole wing thing until the end of last year: I was in PSC and we were getting hit by a nasty El Norte. All kiters were grounded but then a couple of guys winged-surfed and they were having the best time.
I could see the appeal at sherman too: getting upwind and then just foil-surf the windswell.
I'm not ready to jump the gun yet (I don't need a new hobby and definitely don't have the room for more equipment in my apartment, but I now longer see it as a stupid new sport.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D