Key Tips for Foilboarder beginners at 3rd

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
irvinside
Contributor
Contributor
Key Tips for Foilboarder beginners at 3rd

Post by irvinside » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:58 pm

Hi Guys,
just a few tips for beginners having difficulties foiling at 3rd ave

I am going to avoid here all the traditional tips (significant front foot pressure, body aligned with the foil...) to focus on a few things I learned by myself (painfully :-) )

1/ mind the tide.
- depth >3 feet at 3rd ave if you don't want to walk a while
- when ebbing is it is actually easier to ride.
Reason is: when flooding both flood and wind go in the same direction, so not only you need a kite that drift well, but you easily endup in downwind so more difficult to ride as less stable.
Also when ebbing water is usually flater so you can ride more easily focusing on your stance

2/ mind the kite:
- use kites that drift well : Cabrinha Drifter, North Neo, Lithium, Ozone Reo... or strutless kites: BRM Cloud, Gong kites (french)... Avoid punchy jump/speed kites or freestyle machines. It is doable but it adds up complexity. You need a smooth kite that stays high in the wind window (11 or 1 o'clock) and need minimum attention.

3/ Set you lines right and get sure your kite is properly tuned for light wind so it drifts to the best of its ability. Check your lines sizes and adjust if front lines are longer than the back lines (even by half an inch which is very common as more stressed). You want to put your kite stable in the sky at 12o'clcock by low wind (bar released, no trim): from there pull the bar to the max and check that kite stays a while in the air. If it falls backward it is likely your front lines are too long and you need to shorter these by a knot (but you can also make your back lines longer at the bar). Do and re-test. Mind: Do this in water with no-one around to reduce risks to the minimum even by low wind. Upper launch beach is rather short, people are launching/landing and wind is unstable !

4/ I would recommend you attach a 1.5ft string behind your board. Will make it easier to grab the board after falling in water. These things (foils) go downwind fast, so a small cord is a fantastic help to get a hand on the board promptly. You'll remove it later on.

5/ When things get ugly in deep water with the Kite stuck on the water surface, consider using a leash to Temporarily secure your board or it will certainly endup in your lines.

6/ Size: rule of thumb for 190 pounds kiter when foiling for the first times :
15knots -> 10m standard kite is ideal.
I am talking here when keeping the board in contact with water, really the first sessions.

From there you will likely adjust to 8-7-6m (for 15 knots) as you progress and foil.
(Better be under power than overpowered when you begin actually foiling)

7/ As you lift and glide put both hands on the bar, look ahead of you over your front shoulder, and adjust your height over the water mostly by pulling or pushing the bar smoothly it works fantastically well. From there the further away you look the more relaxed and stable you'll be.

8/ Don't mind the waves too much, as you glide you will realize the wave make your foil move up and down by itself. Not need to adjust that much actually, only on the larger waves.

9/ Find the sweet spots for your feets slowly moving toes and ankle on the board by micro adjustments, finding the sweet spot helps a lot. Usually the right back foot position is the surprise (with no back strap which is better). Board and foil settings set the rules here, play with these over time.

I don't pretend to know much , but I know these tips made a difference for me
so Hopefully this will help a few of you and If it is the case it will make my day |}{+

Still a beginner... and for a while.

Take Care,
Greg
Last edited by irvinside on Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kites: Gong Strutless V2: 12m, 9m, BRM Cloud D.0 6.2
Board: F-One Mitu Monteiro 5'10", Moses Onda 91 + Groove skate
Harness: ION B2
Wetsuit: ION Strike Amp 2017

drroc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Key Tips for Foilboarder beginners at 3rd

Post by drroc » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:41 am

How do you gauge when you should dismount from the foil when coming in to avoid hitting underwater rocks?

lieutenantglorp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by lieutenantglorp » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:59 am

drroc wrote:How do you gauge when you should dismount from the foil when coming in to avoid hitting underwater rocks?
Just come in hard upwind and ride with high foil elevation when water depth is questionable.

lieutenantglorp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by lieutenantglorp » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:05 am

Coyote point park closes ~ an hour before dark ~ but water depth is never an issue for foiling and you can always park at the golf course and walk in if arriving late.