Off to a bad start already

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
CdoG
Old School
Old School
Re: Off to a bad start already

Post by CdoG » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:00 pm

Sorry about your injury rey
Hopefully you’ll heal up fast and get back on your foil soon

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:01 pm

CdoG wrote:Dude thank you for bring it up
And ya we don't have to yell we just need to talk
I ended up driving back home after I looked at the zoo
Shell gate didn't look any better

Jeff I often wonder if some of the yahoos that terrorize Alameda show up at Chrissy and need Coast Guard rescue ?
Crissy.
Some kiters behave like dogs let out of a car after a long drive. Infrequently we get a beginner that is an obvious danger to himself and everyone else and are shut down immediately.
Some have very low perception of the weather conditions and personal safety.

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:36 pm

dz wrote: FOOD FOR THOUGHT
I have observed who has the most efficient use of the launch zone space, it is Sumner. He only spends a couple of minutes in the actual launch zone. He has EVERYTHING is ready to go before he steps into the launch zone, he has his kite rigged w the lines rolled up. All he does in the launch zone is unroll the lines and launch.
FOR THE RECORD
(Maybe some people STILL don't know this but) That's how that area is supposed to be used, and I definitely practice this too. I put on my harness and put my board down by the water before I move my kite over to run my lines.

dz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dz » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:42 am

One of the biggest problems we face is congestion of the launch zone. My first suggestion is that kites be landed in a separate area, preferrably just North of the shower.

Another suggestion I have is to evaluate just how many kiters can realistically fit into the official launch zone, and create a specified number of lanes.
Beginners generally need to take a lot more time and they should not feel rushed.
Many people are going to need to tie their lines on in the launch zone.

But we can create one lane dedicated to those who are ready to launch "Sumner style," that is just unroll your lines and go. This would eliminate a lot of congestion, because in that lane people will be very quickly getting off the beach.

Bottom line, we need to reach out to the beginners, answer their questions, and give advice according to the conditions, etc.
Free your mind and your azz will follow. GC

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:30 am

dz wrote:
Bottom line, we need to reach out to the beginners, answer their questions, and give advice according to the conditions, etc.
I just want to reiterate that the problems that keep happening here aren't only caused by beginners and I bet you more often than not its seasoned kiters that are the biggest violators. People who have never been to this spot before but still can't practice the #1 rule in any water sport -- KNOW THE SPOT, read the waves, ask the locals, yadayadyada

And you'll probably find that beginners taught at that beach by the girls are going to have the best safety mindset because they learned there. There are not many beach-side kite schools that have to teach rules of the road on a beach launch.

alexglebov
Contributor
Contributor

Post by alexglebov » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:06 am

I agree with dz that congestion is major problem at Alameda. Separating launch and landing areas is great suggestion. I also like the idea about dedicated launch lane for the rigged kites. I would go even further and suggest that all launch area be used for pre-rigged kites. No rigging in the launch zone allowed. Use pump area to pump and rig your kites then roll your lines, put your harness on and move to the launch area ready to go. Then just unroll your lines and launch. After the session land your kite, roll lines and move the kite to the pump/rigging area (across the path). Kites sitting idle in the launch zone is the safety hazard during launch, because very often the lines get caught on the other kites and after the launch and on the way to the water while controlling the kite in a super gusty/shifty spring conditions we don't want to jump over other kites and lines.
Boardsports is starting volunteer program at the shack, maybe enforcing this policy can be part of their routine.

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Separating launching/landing will remove the amount of people available to launch/land kites.

Realistically too, there's no room (not even upwind of the shack). The kite community takes up a huge amount of space as it is. And we've had to fight hard to keep what we got. If you've seen Crown Beach during peak summer time, families start to encroach on our dedicated area, try squeezing another 50' from that crowd. Ugh.

Drop this idea quick. It's not going to play well with the Regional Park officials. They're annoyed enough of us already, lets stay on their good side and enforce the rules already in place.

Goldenbears
Joey
Joey

Post by Goldenbears » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:51 pm

It was definitely pretty wild. As a beginner (learned at the shack) I hung out and watched for about an hour before deciding it wasn't the right time for me with tons of people taking some pretty generous liberties with the rules (landing and walking kites in the air up to the path, unideal launches). In that time, the most blatant thing was some person landing a kite across the bike path, and actually knocking into an unaware runner with the kite before someone could grab it. I'm a relative newcomer, with this being my second season, so I don't have great suggestions, but I really don't envy Jesse et al who try to run a very controlled launch zone. Lanes seem very helpful.

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:19 pm

I love the idea of an express lane until a bunch of beginners start parking in it and spend an hour trying to run there lines ...
But even without the dedicated express lane y’all could sumner launch if you so Choose you can set your Kates up run your lines off the launch site roll it up bring it in when you’re ready to go it’s the quickest way to do it when it’s crowded

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:16 pm

[quote="alexglebov"}Then just unroll your lines and launch.[/quote]
Bingo - beat me to it. So much easier to run and roll in the big grass in the wind shadow and away from the mess. In many places elsewhere that real estate is premium this is the norm.