Mounting a Foil on an old Twin Tip

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jaxonholer
Contributor
Contributor
Re: Mounting a Foil on an old Twin Tip

Post by jaxonholer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:30 pm

I agree with some previous points:

1) Do not try to learn on this board with little float, a big floaty board is your best friend when it comes to water starting. Plus you will not have the same control as a big floaty board. When you get good, you won't want as much slow boyancy, but it's a huge help in the beginning. I have attached a foil to a board that did not float, this is a valid concern and a waste of time.

2) Use a wakeskate! They are super cheap, made of wood, great boyancy to float, but small enough to still be fun for an intermediate to advanced set up.

Here's my settup:
https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... 928#p95928

Very happy with it, super fun. You won't have the issue of putting straps in the wrong place if you don't have straps! I often move my feet around on the board, but if I had straps, they would get in the way.

I understand you have the twin tip and just want to try a foil on it. Go for it! If you like it, I think getting a cheap wake skate would be another great option for you, but only after you been pounded for hours on a more beginner friendly foil.

Keep us posted!

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:07 pm

Got a bit of free time today and was able to ride my twintip foil some more.
Using a standard mast, it was definitely difficult to get up, but once going, no issues at all riding the twin tip foil setup.

So, I decided to mount my short mast on the twintip today, this thing turned out to be so much fun. I just loop the kite if the twin tip decides to submarine, and somehow I manage to keep it going.

The foam I added helps keep the foil and board afloat.

Definitely glad I tried this experiment. At least I am able to fix and re-use an old delaminated twintip and give it life, riide it for a few more seasons.
twintipfoil.png
twintipfoil.png (1.36MiB)Viewed 4722 times

jaxonholer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jaxonholer » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:00 pm

nice stringy. I used some marine grade sealant on both ends of the mast so the mast doesn't fill with water, you may want to check it out. Mine's mounted to a wake skate, so just 4 holes, solid bolts, done. If I had your skills, I might take on a project like this, looks fun! The wake skate has a more convex shape so the board does not pearl as much, but it's probably way heavier than yours.

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:26 pm

Just the other day

Asushi Came out with his Cabrina double agent foil
Bolted to his I think it was a light wave Dave
160 or bigger
Twin tip and rode!! Liked like it worked