$150 fee on American Airlines

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
kitewing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
$150 fee on American Airlines

Post by kitewing » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:40 am

No luck with my golf bag on a trip to Turks and Caicos. Got hit with a $150 flat fee for my gear. Told the gate agent that it was golf equipment, and she made me open it. FUUUUU!
Kites:
Ozone Edge, Ocean Rodeo Razor
Ozone Frenzy, Flysurfer Speed 3

Rakky
Contributor
Contributor

Re: $150 fee on American Airlines

Post by Rakky » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:49 am

Sorry to hear
Would throwing a golf club in with the kites/board help?

dontfeedthenerd
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dontfeedthenerd » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:56 pm

I used to include a putter and zip it up in a way that it would be the first thing that would pop out when I undid the zipper. The people who cared enough to ask often asked what else was in the bag, in which case I was pooched.

kitewing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitewing » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:45 am

Hah, I might have to try that next time, although my bag weighed in at 49.0 lbs with foilboard, twintip, and one kite, so a putter would probably have put me over the limit!

Such a shame - this is actually the 1st time that I've ever had to pay an excess flat fee for kite stuff, so maybe it was only a matter of time.

What bothers me almost as much as the fee itself, is AA's justification for why the flat fee exists. I didn't expect this conversation to go anywhere, but needed to vent afterwards. Here's an excerpt from my Twitter rant:

Me
@AmericanAir $150 flat fee for kitesurfing equipment, but not golf, ski, hockey, FIREARMS, or other items bigger than a kite? Pls explain
AA
Check here for baggage allowance under sports items: http://bit.ly/AABAGALLOWANCE .
Me
@AmericanAir I'm aware of the policy. But why do you charge a flat $150 fee for this item, and not others of larger weight/volume?
AA
Bag charges are based on size and weight. We assure you our baggage team will take great care of your luggage.
Me
@AmericanAir That's not true, kite equipment weighs less and is lower volume than golf and ski/snowboard but costs flat fee. Pls explain?
AA
Some specialty items require a different type of handling. We're sorry you're disappointed in our baggage policy.
Me
@AmericanAir Ya quite disappointed. Still confused since ski, golf, kites all go in the exact same bag, so not sure what is so "special"
Kites:
Ozone Edge, Ocean Rodeo Razor
Ozone Frenzy, Flysurfer Speed 3

RPskater
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RPskater » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:20 pm

That doesn't make sense to me unless it was your destination that triggered it. I went to Cabo and the AA policy simply stated a normal check-in had to be under 62" and 50lbs.

androka
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by androka » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:06 pm

I pulled this in 2014, links work so you can check yourself

2013-2014
Flights and surfboards:
Virgin
http://www.virginamerica.com/vx/fees
https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/vx-fees/#/baggage
> surfboards: $50 but could be $75 (over 62 inches)
> Checked bag $25
> so $75 - $100

Alaskan
> checked bag costs $20
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel ... x#oversize
> 62 - 115” is $75

United
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content ... ports.aspx
> $200 each way

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:12 am

I just went to La ventana with Virgin America:
Any check-in luggage is $25.
Surfboard are an additional $25 (because of the length, BUT I got that comped both ways by just being nice to the counter lady and asking if it was really necessary).
So, my Manera Air Force bag with: convertible surfboard + foil mast/wings + 2 kites + harness (That made it right at 50 LBS) only cost me $25 each way.
BUT that could have been completely FREE if I had Virgin America's credit card (you don't pay for your check-in luggage). So I'm applying soon for it I think...

It's good to note that if my bag had been over 50 LBS I would have been charged a $50 fee.
So basically, flying with virgin anywhere, if you don't have their credit card and you want to have a gigantic bag with anything you can think of in it, it will cost you $100 ($25 for check-in fee + $25 for surfboard fee + $50 for over 50 LBS fee).
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:14 pm

Now that Virgin is owned by Alaska, they will probably adopt the same luggage policy. I don't think I have ever even paid for a bag on Alaska, kite gear or otherwise, because we have the credit card. If you don't have the CC, they will only charge you $25/bag regardless of what you're taking as long as it's under 50lbs. Last year I took my foilboard, which would have been surfboard size, but they didn't charge me anything. Alaska is amazing. I know Virgin fans may think Alaska is lame, but you couldn't have asked for a better acquisition. Amazing customer service, and the best west coast routes of any airline. If you get the credit card, the $99 buddy pass is an unbelievable deal. Take your wife/friend/whoever to Maui or Baja in peak season for $99!

Just imagine if United had bought Virgin...

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:02 pm

I usually fly Southwest because just for these reasons. I have paid $0 in baggage fee in all the years flying Southwest to both SPI and Baja. Last year I took 3 large suitcases and one golf bag which contained, twin tip, surf board, foil board, and the foil. I kept all the bags less than 50 pounds, did not even get questioned.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:00 am

Sonny wrote:I usually fly Southwest because just for these reasons. I have paid $0 in baggage fee in all the years flying Southwest to both SPI and Baja. Last year I took 3 large suitcases and one golf bag which contained, twin tip, surf board, foil board, and the foil. I kept all the bags less than 50 pounds, did not even get questioned.
That's what I've heard. You have to connect at SD for cabo though, no?
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D