Windsurfer rescued at Dillon

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Windsurfer rescued at Dillon

Post by windstoked » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:15 am

We should learn the lessons here and share them with others when kiting Dillon so we don't tempt fate or tick off the Coast Guard from repeated rescues.
Lesson 1: If it's so light it's a challenge to get out past the breakers, don't go past the breakers.
yojimbo wrote:
...I had my 12m rigged, and I barely got it in the air. I was amazed people were actually out riding.
Lesson 2: If it starts lulling and you're out in the Shark Pit, get in quick. The Shark Pit on an ebb tide is potentially unswimmable back to the beach. The ocean current flows south along Dillon Beach at a good clip whether it's ebbing or flooding, then flows into Tomales Bay if it's flooding or curves out towards the open ocean if it's ebbing. If you can't get to the beach before hitting the current coming out of the bay, start swimming for the Pt. Reyes side. Having buddies to help may prevent a CG rescue, but even they may not be able to drag you back against the current, and dropping you on the Pt Reyes side may be their only option. It's about a six mile hike back to the road from over there, and over an hour drive for your buddies to go around and pick you up. Your buddies could also rent a skiff at Lawson's Landing to go pick you up.
Any other lessons to learn here?

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:18 pm

windstoked wrote: Any other lessons to learn here?
Don't ride dillon.
I heard it's local only anyway and you can't carpool there.

:mrgreen:
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

yojimbo
Regular
Regular

Post by yojimbo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:57 pm

Our goal should be to never have to contact the Coast Guard for a rescue at Dillon Beach. Having said that here is the number for the coast guard station in bodega bay. I recommend you load it into your phone:

707-875-3596

Please realize as Dillon becomes more popular, that you only have to look and see what is happening at Chrissy to see the future. Chrissy is very close to having kiting banned permanently as the Coast Guard is treated like a free taxi service. Every call we make from Dillon to the CG is one call closer to having kiting banned at this spot.

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:09 pm

No hard core Crissy regular has ever treated The Coast Guard like a Taxi service.

There have been a certain few newbies that have abused it in the past.

I have worked very hard to reduce the rescues this year.

I generally find the people screwing up the most, are the happiest go lucky puppy like personalities and the sole surfers who do not check in with the locals.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:16 pm

Simon, as usual, is spot on - thanks for the local CG dispatch number as well. In my phone now.

Also note: not sure about Verizon or Sprint, but AT&T's signal sucks in the Dillon parking lot, particularly at the North end. I've had much better luck walking to the South end of the parking lot or out onto the beach. Signal seems better way down the road into Lawson's Landing (the campground).

Clarification on my earlier comment about cell phones: Having a cell phone with you shouldn't ever provide a false sense of security in any water or wilderness situation. It's like wearing a helmet - it might make you think you're invincible, but won't protect you from getting hurt in other ways which could leave you, well, screwed.

As for lessons to learn: kiting at spots without boat support, in big surf, strong currents, way off-shore: Check/repair/replace your gear regularly. Equipment failure can/could be pretty serious in these situations. We're one Spectra line breakage from a train wreck in what can be gnarly conditions for swimming...

Kirk out

floater
Contributor
Contributor

Post by floater » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:39 pm

AT&T does work out there.

Third dune to the north, 20 ft toward the water and just make sure its a full moon on the vernal equinox.

Hopefully we won't have to be calling CG again.

Not so much a lesson but maybe a refresher on fall season coast kiting.

Simon, thanks for the number.

yojimbo
Regular
Regular

Post by yojimbo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:20 pm

You guys are all welcome. My intention was not to insult kiters at Chrissy, my apologies for having done so.

dwaynej
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dwaynej » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:37 am

The way I see it, its the same as kiting in an offshore wind - You need to have someone standing by with a jet ski or boat else don't.

May be worthwhile organizing a boat for specific site/conditions similar to a yacht club and organized sailing events to help stop the coast guard calls.

Vessel Assist/Boat US costs around $150/pa. If you don't have coverage, they charge boaters anywhere from $500-$2000 depending on how far offshore you are for on water assistance... The coast guard dumps boaters who are not in danger (physical/medical) over to Vessel Assist if they just need a tow to shore. The reason I mention this is that Kite Boarders may start generating a large number of actual coast guard rescues in comparison to the small kite board population and that may drive the adoption of regulations around the use of kite boards in the ocean.

By the by, here's some toys I have used over the years scuba diving offshore with current:
http://nautiluslifeline.com
http://www.findmespot.com/en/
http://www.acrartex.com/products/catalo ... qlinkplus/

The spot and lifeline are pretty good as they can be used to contact someone local to assist.

windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by windstoked » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:46 am

For those unfamiliar with Dillon Beach, this aerial photo may help if you go there.
The swell is low in this photo and the tide isn't low, so the Shark Pit break is closer in than usual. The break is sometimes a half mile out from shore. It's not uncommon to see a solo kiter out there.
I don't go out to the Pit without a buddy, and I usually have an awesome session right off the launch beach.
Dillon Beach.jpg
Dillon Beach.jpg (144.86KiB)Viewed 2401 times

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:47 am

Here's another illustration:
Dillon Illustration 2.jpg
Dillon Illustration 2.jpg (281.26KiB)Viewed 2391 times