The Future of Bay Area Kiteboarding.com

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Greg
Old School
Old School
Re: The Future of Bay Area Kiteboarding.com

Post by Greg » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:58 pm

david wrote:I suggest you consider gifting it to the SFBA.

I have no idea if we will be willing to take it, but if you first find volunteers to run it, that will help.

But, if you truly don't want it commercialized more, then I think this is the only way.

Thats a GREAT IDEA Dave!

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:31 pm

NO aflter 10 years' of blood sweat and tears..... I don't think a gift is in order,
but if the sfba or another commercial entity is interested ....make an offer.....
Ollie's worked hard on this site and it has a great vibe you just dont find on the internet
I also think marina at the kite boarder magazine should think about this to.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:19 pm

There may be some errant assumptions as I had hoped in my original post you all would read between the lines (and some did) but to clarify - it will be available for acquisition, and is not being gifted to the SFBA, someone with a server, etc.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:40 pm

I have no idea if we will be willing to take it, but if you first find volunteers to run it, that will help.

But, if you truly don't want it commercialized more, then I think this is the only way.
I appreciate the input, David, but firstly, as I just posted, it's not being gifted in any case, that came about with assumptions, and with all respect, I want to see the site continue and grow, not die a sad death. Let's be honest, the SFBA site is 99% exactly the same site as it was when I started kiting in 2002. The last news item was in May, 2010. Would that bode well for BAK?

I pay my SFBA dues, but in ten years of kiting, I've never experienced any benefit or result of SFBA actions at any of the spots I've regularly ridden at, which has been numerous and widespread. I'm not trying to downplay the existence of the SFBA, and if there's more discussion to be had about it, let us please start another thread. Maybe it's great for windsurfers. But, as I have said years ago, I really think this sport needs it's own organization or association in the SF Bay Area that is kiteboarding specific. I posted suggestions and a proposal and even specific details about an organization and how all the various sites can offer up peer-elected kiters to represent those sites thus making up a board but to no avail. No one responded much. I know change can take a lot of effort and participation, so I understand. But we have bayareakiteboarding.org and bayareakitesurfing.org registered as well.

Maybe I've not been informed, I'll keep paying my dues, but I'm not really feeling it because as far as kitesurfing goes, what's really been done in the last ten years other than nets and water at 3rd? This really belongs in another thread, I apologize for the lengthy response...&&&

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:33 pm

don't forget BayAreaKitesurfing.com too :)

As much as i support SFBA i would have to agree with Ollie on this one.

BayAreaKite wrote:

I appreciate the input, David, but firstly, as I just posted, it's not being gifted in any case, that came about with assumptions, and with all respect, I want to see the site continue and grow, not die a sad death. Let's be honest, the SFBA site is 99% exactly the same site as it was when I started kiting in 2002. The last news item was in May, 2010. Would that bode well for BAK?

I pay my SFBA dues, but in ten years of kiting, I've never experienced any benefit or result of SFBA actions at any of the spots I've regularly ridden at, which has been numerous and widespread. I'm not trying to downplay the existence of the SFBA, and if there's more discussion to be had about it, let us please start another thread. Maybe it's great for windsurfers. But, as I have said years ago, I really think this sport needs it's own organization or association in the SF Bay Area that is kiteboarding specific. I posted suggestions and a proposal and even specific details about an organization and how all the various sites can offer up peer-elected kiters to represent those sites thus making up a board but to no avail. No one responded much. I know change can take a lot of effort and participation, so I understand. But we have bayareakiteboarding.org and bayareakitesurfing.org registered as well.

Maybe I've not been informed, I'll keep paying my dues, but I'm not really feeling it because as far as kitesurfing goes, what's really been done in the last ten years other than nets and water at 3rd? This really belongs in another thread, I apologize for the lengthy response...&&&
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

david
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by david » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:03 pm

no worries Ollie, just a thought

nexus
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nexus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:03 pm

lol. did they actually fix the water at 3rd? last time i was there it was still shut off.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:53 am

The good news is even if BAK eventually fails we still got IKITE as backup for community support issues like putting on parties (demo's etc..) and handing out cake (bullshitting about safety issues "; )-

Best wishes for a fast sail,
L.M.G.