Sherman Upper Launch Sign

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
cliftoncutshall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Sherman Upper Launch Sign

Post by cliftoncutshall » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:56 am

NewBkiter wrote:How bout just, "no Kite parking"

Simple and sweet.
or no park kiting :banana-parachute: :banana-parachute:

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:00 pm

I like that the best. And since i am the one making the signs... i am going with that one.

NewBkiter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NewBkiter » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:10 pm

windhorny has spoken!

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:17 pm

consumer wrote:
Tunces wrote:I'm new to Sherman, so bear with me. Has anyone ever though of removing the bushes in the middle of the launch and periodically clearing the driftwood? It appears that the bushes are just shrubs and berries, nothing too valuable, and it would clear a great deal of access. :?:
this has been thought of before. Besides the driftwood, erosion is an issue. Take a look at how much the beach has eroded where the entrance/exits are. It's possible the beach will just erode and won't completely disappear, but i think it's something Bob isn't willing to experiment with?
I think those bushes and logs are the only thing keeping the beach from eroding, Bob is not the county employee his wife is( i think) and we should be happy what we have already. it is county property would not want to get caught with a chainsaw or dumping old carpet in a park. :character-jason:
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

GracieMarie
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by GracieMarie » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:18 pm

Don Lester wrote:I find it so hard to understand we need to do this. Why is it that people can't figure it out for themselves. Aren't humans supposed to be the intelligent species. I mean there's only enough space to launch and land about 10 kites..........what are those parkers thinking ?
Actually, what happens is that new people show up without a clue. Savvy newcomers will ask around, what's the protocol here, what are the hazards, etc. BUT: many new people are shy or intimidated or whatever. So these people watch what the regulars are doing.

THIS is why I am scolding those of you (you know who you are) who take the wrong way in/out, even when it's not busy. People new to SI will think that is just what ya do here.

All of us that know a bit more than the visitors/new kids should try to guide/help them. It's the aloha thing to do. And it keeps the helicopter rides down.

A couple years ago, Ella and I made temporary signs, IN and OUT, (for the parking lot launch side of the two paths, and also for the beach launch side of the same paths). Maru/Kirk gave us the materials, but that was cardboardy and obviously didn't last.

We also had basic suggestions, like:

*Don't leave your gear out, esp. in the launch area
*Don't hog the sweet spots
*Yield to the distressed/less proficient kiter
*Watch out for/pick up the broken glass in the reeds at low tide (see photo of C. Millman's foot on Facebook).

Basic safety, right-of-way kind of stuff, very simple.

Of course once it gets cold and rainy out here, lots of us just leave the country and forget about the projects/irons in the fire. So, THANKS FOR MAKING THIS HAPPEN!

Yuri, would you be willing to please make another set of signs for the other end of both paths? I just saw the ones you made (Sleawv had them) and they RULE. This way people coming in from downwinders for the first time, or uber-exhausted and confused newer kiters can have the right direction. From the OTHER side of the path.

Having a set of kiting suggestions, a few simple and basic points, in sign form would be lovely.

Then, the only issue is enforcement/compliance.

Cheers,
GM :) PS: Whoever said that they were bringing more carpet, you can probably leave it w/Bob and Mina. Then maybe we can have a SI improvement day/group effort/drunken party.

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:53 pm

Shit!

Just yesterday during Nic's first downwinder, I came in before he got too close and landed my kite.

I came in the middle exit and then went toward the carpeted exit path...then landed my kite.

Ran back out on the "in" path...got going so fast with nerves and adrenaline as I was heading to the beach toward the new "exit", that I did a header. Glad to say there was carpet there. Not glad that someone saw me do the header into the carpet. My upper body was much faster than my legs.

Carpet burns on the knees look worse than they feel.

I took his kite, we came out the middle and took the sand to the carpeted path to the inside launch...

Pretty exciting day for a proud Dad!

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:55 pm

"Downwinders, confused, exhausted, excited Dads" sign would have been good.

cliftoncutshall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cliftoncutshall » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:41 am

GracieMarie re signs, protocol, setting examples etc. Very well said =D>
Also count me in for SI improvement day. Short notice but we are expecting a wind lull (this crappy North blow then a lull) over the next day or so and my time is free. I have tools, extra carpet etc. Anyone else? :dance:

GracieMarie
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by GracieMarie » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:29 am

I'm in, but going to a fellow kite kitten's BB shower this afternoon. (People are still breeding? Who can afford this? :) )

I'm here most of the time unless I'm somewhere else.530-412-0375.

Maybe while we're out there, we can trim back some of the brush on the paths, maybe leave some coffee/tin cans full of sand for butts/trash on the path, and do a glass patrol if the tide is low....I love it that some of ya'll filled up the sandbags we brought out, I have more when those disappear.

Also, anyone with extra kite leashes that wants to donate them to those unfortunate folk that don't have enough cash to leash their own dogs, bring 'em on up. :wink:

Cheers =D>

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:23 am

The signs are as follows:
Enter----> (To be placed at the entry of the path heading toward the beach)
Exit------> (to be placed at the exit of the entry, this sign will point to the Exit path)

No other signs are planned for the paths. The signs will NOT BE LARGE, they will be tastefully mounted on driftwood posts to blend with the landscape... They are just guides, please help others follow....

The forward launch will get a sign that say's , "Please Stack your kites" ... Once again this signage will NOT be IMPOSING, please ask others to follow this system to help keep the launch/land area clear.

It will be up to the kiting population to direct others to follow the correct paths..
IF WE CAN ALL FOLLOW this path system, LIFE will be BETTER for EVERYONE ...

Simple, EASY- flow....
Enjoy!!!

L.M.G.