Ocean Beach kiteboarding accident

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
marinkiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Ocean Beach kiteboarding accident

Post by marinkiter » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:10 pm

kief wrote:
I am worried when I hear kiters confused and shocked how this could happen
Neither confused nor shocked, but definitely curious. I've been out plenty of times in 40+ but fortunately always rigged for the gusts and was never so overpowered as to get lifted with the bar sheeted out. However, that doesn't mean I will always make the right call and it will never happen. I appreciate all the good information given here, especially the perspective that it's difficult to steer when lofted due to the effect of needing to sheet in to turn the bar effectively, and also a reminder that kites that have their depower pulled in can also be hard to maneuver. Thanks for the suggestion to simply pop the release before each session and the reminder to, before anything, just let go of the bar when it goes bad. I assume these things would be automatic but I've become proficient enough that I haven't had to punch out in a few seasons, and that complacency is a major risk in itself. Cheers.

Xor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Ocean Beach kiteboarding accident

Post by Xor » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:07 am

I had my own close call experience in squall/sudden storm in DR this year that took even locals by surprise, with wind turning side offshore from 20-22kts to 30-35kts (at sensor) in under 30 sec, while I could totally depower 9m cloud I would loose control, slight sheet in and I barely touching water. If it would be on shore I would punch out immediately. Glad I got wise decision to abandon a board and body drag on shore.
Seen guy on flysurfer foil kite had to let kite go after 15min battling to get to a board.
It is always tough decision, but time to make it could be split second. On shore I would totally flag out as it is safest for me and crowd. On water it is different, but safer in general and you have more time.

From rally driving practice (that I think is easily translated to kiting) we can divide conditions into 4 main zones, in perspective of driver-car-road-environment = kiter - equipment - water/wind conditions - environment:
1. Zone of !relative! comfort (emphasis on relative as it could be lack of experience to think it is in this zone), e.g. favorable in all of the kiter-equipment-water/wind- obstacles, etc.
2. Risk zone, there is a risk, but easily avoidable. Requires extra caution/concentration, e.g. low visibility, unstable/shifting winds, obstacles, being tired, stupid showing off kiter meraby, etc. So, nothing happened yet, but there is risk and can quickly become bad, so usually enough time to think.
This zone gets better with experience, e.g. in avoiding to be driven into zone 3 or 4
3. Critical conditions zone (extreme zone), nothing happened yet, but it is going there, e.g. just being pulled/lifted on/towards ground, pulled underwater, snapped line, another kiter jumped and landing on you, etc. Not yet happened fully, but only correct actions would prevent accident. This zone is characterized by not enough time to think about situation, usually only reflex will help, e.g. punch out, let go the bar, downloop jibe to avoid collision, etc. This zone is main target by extreme driving course (not to panic in car slides, how to get out of drift and avoid steering into/past critical angle, feel your car and its limitations such as when/how esp and abs is more harm than good for experienced driver, etc.) and various clinics in kite world, but in order to work it must be a reflex (practice, practice, practice), hesitation would lead to zone 4
4. Crash zone, something happened and you cannot completely avoid it, but you can still choose how to deal with it.
In kiting, it is being lifted too high to punch out you can try to steer, or even overfly highway, in driving world examples usually given - if car drives into you (driving in opposite direction) it is better to hit car on the right than get frontal crash.
This zone is usually trained by imagining and analyzing critical situations and thinking how to get out the best. That is why most pro drivers spend time looking at scary accidents, they are gathering ideas of bad situations and how to get out with minimal loss.

Too bad we do not have extreme kiting lessons that would concentrate on expanding the knowledge and reflexes for #3 and tear down typical situations for #4

EDIt: may be it is good business idea for our kiting instructors, I would totally attend one and can give an idea how expensive factory Audi/subaru/lotus and general extreme driving course is organized to adapt it to kiting.
Good-bye... and hello... as always!
Victor