A few Sherman Island 9/3/2006 Pics

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:11 pm

Daaaamn Ollie, a kiteloop duo? Looks sweet, great job.

Live2KITE
Regular
Regular

Post by Live2KITE » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:45 pm

Since we are in the double kitelooping discussion, and since I haven't seen the water for 4 weeks and 2 days (who's counting) here is a short video I found at one of the magazine front pages.
It's from Ruben's recent visit to the Gorge this summer - seems that double loops are in fashion but Ollie makes them look sick!

(must be the Brunotti board and the Mystic harnesses that make both look so rad)

http://www.kiteboardingmag.com/index.jsp

Evan
(can walk up the stairs almost looking normal!)

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:35 pm

I didn't know they were in fashion, i just thought I'd try them and they're pretty fun. but since you bring it up, I can say switching from the seat harness to the Mystic waist harness has improved my riding, giving me more mobility and I fin it easier to unhook/hook and it's lighter, very comfortable, doesn't ride up or crush my ribs, which was one of my main concerns and kept me from switching to a waist harness for a long time. The Mystic is a great harness, thanks Evan for carrying them.

The Brunotti is awesome. I was riding the UG FLX 132 x 39 but needed a new board after an "incident". The Brunotti I chose is 134 x 37, 2cm longer and 2cm narrower, which I like as it makes for a bit faster board. It has great flex and very good pop and as it's built in Austria using snowboard construction techniques in the same factory where Burton snowboards are built, it seems to be pretty bomber. It can feel a bit skatey if you maintain a pretty balanced stance as I did on the UG FLX, but with slightly more rear heel pressure, it tracks very well and crushes upwind. It's light and the graphics are nice. Thanks for carrying this new product also! I love them both... Now what i really want to see are the Type 8's... :) If it's everything it's supposed to be, we are in for a treat. Alex gave us a great rundown on it at the beach this weekend, seems he's done his homework on it already...

Live2KITE
Regular
Regular

Post by Live2KITE » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:05 pm

Nothing can stay secret these days :-)
Yeap - the Type 8 will be the celebration of triple loops and wave riding crasiness! RRD is killing it this year - can't wait to see the other companies follow their track!

I am glad you are stoked with the Warrior and the Brunotti Ollie. The board is a Freestylers bliss and these harnesses are redefining everyone's riding style and comfort - I want to see everyone in the most comfortable, safe and supportive gear out there and I think we found the "golden" harness at this point. (FINALLY) You should check the wetsuits also - Whoever gets them calls their friends and tells them to get them also! We are stoked.
Enough with that - We have a new shipment of 150 Warriors and another 100 Dragon shields coming in this week - let's see how long they will last.

Back to my painkillers for tonight.

Evan

zgur
Resident
Resident

smokin....

Post by zgur » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:35 pm

Scott - great pics, thanks for taking/posting.
Ollie - bro, you are raising your riding game up a whole bunch of notches, nice work....

Evan - thanks for the link to the vid of len10. It's sick to see how far downwind that kid travels and then lands butter smooth.....i'd like to see the vid of him learning the moves...he must pay some big dues. Youth is quite a nice and fleeting reality.......

He was out recently due to ankly injury....imagine what would happen to him if he was a bit older.....

Get some, Z.

narly1
Regular
Regular

PiNk..

Post by narly1 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:37 pm

DaM.. BoYYYYyy.
I thiNk.. I nEeD to RiDE n PinK.

OlliEs dubble ..bounch is ..
err...
harD.
Ladys Michelle's..
PinK thing is Grace.. fly n...

erR... let me put it this way..

when ollie hits it .....I duck.

when Michelle hits it ....
I stand on my tipie toes to get a better Veiw.
Narly1

berrisbob
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by berrisbob » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:57 pm

Ollie, yeah, I used Photoshop. I use one of several different techniques, or a combination of them. For this one, I was able to do it the easiest way, for the most part -- when the subject is in front of a solid background (e.g. the sky here), then just use the magic wand to select the sky, and then invert the selection to get the subject. Copy the subject and paste it into the master frame (best to use any frame that has a field of view that covers the subjects of all other images for this) and position it correctly. Repeat for the remaining frames. Once everything is pasted and positioned, flatten the image, adjust levels, color, etc., apply any sharpening or other desired filters, and that's it.

I used the same technique with the image below, along with some additional secret tricks, to create a false 3D image. To view the 3D effect, place your head 2 to 3 feet away from the monitor, and look between the two images while slowly crossing your eyes. As you cross your eyes more and more, the 2 images will begin to merge into one. Try to get the 2 images of one of the kites to merge. Once you do that, you should be able to see the 3D effect and you should be able to shift your view to the other kites, and then to the images of Donny below and the background, without losing the effect. Hint: keep your mouse cursor out of the way or else it will make it more difficult. It takes some practice, but if you can get it it's pretty neat.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:08 pm

Scott,

Awesome, thanks for tips and tricks. This would be a fun to do for a double kiteloop sequence! I can't cross my eyes without looking at my nose, though... I'm having trouble getting the effect out of the above image...

Sander
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Sander » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:09 pm

trippy!

BrokenDC10
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by BrokenDC10 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:22 pm

V,

That vid looks familiar! Lenten was killing it!

- Brick Mark