Crossbow vs. Rapture?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:59 pm

Wow. I was wrong about the typos in Spanish.

Charlie, I guess you are a multi-lingual mangler of spelling.

Those '05 Raptures are pretty tempting at such a low price. Dewey must be tearing his hair out waiting for the '06s.

Any chance there will be a Rapture 12 to demo at SI this weekend, Ollie?

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:05 pm

The WW proto I saw was not as flat as the pictured WW looks.... Still flatter than the rapture, but not as much as the xbow or the drawing

Anonymous wrote:The rapture picture in the advertisement (maybe it is Rage?) looks very flat and crossbow like. I cannot imagine this kite not having a bridle, it will put an enormous stress on the LE tube. But who knows, maybe they use cuben fiber (or maybe its just not as flat as the picture) :)

E

wilzone
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wilzone » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:23 pm

I saw a xbow on the water in the Gorge yesterday, it looked pretty bad, honestly, and I'm not pushing the WW company line anymore. It was fluttering and changing AOA very rapidly, it looked big and did not appear to have a lot of power. I was NOT impressed. Flash went out minutes later on some WW prototype (could have been Rap, could have been the new light wind kite, I have no idea) and it really did look a bunch better.
The mini-bridles WW is using for '06 are not a problem, or anything to worry about tangling, etc. I have them on my '05s, and they improve performance a TON, with no hassles. Do not fear the bridles.

I think the '06 will be killer, but you may have to wait 'til Christmas to see one, hopefully not.

w

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:46 am

Pablito wrote:
Any chance there will be a Rapture 12 to demo at SI this weekend, Ollie?
Not sure. May be able to make it up Saturday, but may go to watch King of the Bay at 3rd. May get caught having to do other stuff entirely - not sure yet....

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:02 am

Dontcha just hate that.... the other stuff, I mean. I've had alot of that this week.

I'll be at Sherman late on Saturday, if you happen to make it. Come to think of it, I never did get to try that Rage 10, either, after I dropped it in front of the beach that one day. FYI, I haven't had one of my kites get wet for several weeks now...

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:23 pm

Wilzone,
what 05 kites are you running the mini bridles on (Rage, Rapture, outrage)? I have 2 Rages and a Rapture and am interested to know if these new mini bridals will be usable for the 05's.
-rick
wilzone wrote:I saw a xbow on the water in the Gorge yesterday, it looked pretty bad, honestly, and I'm not pushing the WW company line anymore. It was fluttering and changing AOA very rapidly, it looked big and did not appear to have a lot of power. I was NOT impressed. Flash went out minutes later on some WW prototype (could have been Rap, could have been the new light wind kite, I have no idea) and it really did look a bunch better.
The mini-bridles WW is using for '06 are not a problem, or anything to worry about tangling, etc. I have them on my '05s, and they improve performance a TON, with no hassles. Do not fear the bridles.

I think the '06 will be killer, but you may have to wait 'til Christmas to see one, hopefully not.

w

wilzone
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wilzone » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:17 pm

Bill and JB have been playing with mini-bridles on the Raptures for quite some time. It's nothing new to them. All it does is distribute the load and make the LE more stable without increasing the diameter. No big deal, but a discernable slight improvement. I don't think they are planning on making retro-fit kits for the '05s, and you risk damaging the kite because the '05s were not made with the necessary re-enforcements where you need them for the bridles.
My only point in mentioning it at all is that nobody needs to worry about the minis on the new kites for '06 -- they are no hassle and not an issue so far as I can see. I like simple, but these are simple and there's no downside.

w

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:10 pm

will
i just brought it up becouse i was at berkely one day and jeff was playn with a xbow and the bridle got cought on his strut vavle! when luanch n
now i have been know to get to the party late and have to self luanch so i get a little wide eyed when i see that plus all the stuff around the luach there at high tied
but if it flys better, well figuer out something
charlie

wilzone
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wilzone » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:27 pm

Right on Charles! I haven't had anything like this happen. Not even sure it would be possible with the simple setup I'm using.

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:41 pm

there are a lot of bridles attachment points on the xbow.
lots of points to get fouled.

what is a..... going on ...with.....ah...... the raps ?(as far as the bridle?)
how meny points of attchament?
charlie