Extremely fast wear & tear on North bar?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
flippersurf
Contributor
Contributor
Re: Extremely fast wear & tear on North bar?

Post by flippersurf » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:00 pm

Thank you everybody for the great hints and pointers!! I'm on it .

consumer
Regular
Regular

Post by consumer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:56 pm

guidoz wrote:one more thing: if that line breaks during riding you will not be in trouble. There are 2 grey lines as you can see. If one breaks, you loose the ability to use the depower strap but that is all. No problem to kite back to beach - no danger here

You know i've wondered about this. It's technically just one line double-backed on itself. Are you sure if you break one, it will hold? I'm worried that one side will slide through either the eyelet on the bottom (probably won't slide through the cleat, right?)

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:20 pm

I'm gonna try that candle wax idea...

I have a trick for threading the CL line through the parts on my Slingshot bars: I tape a piece of fishing line to the end of the line with masking tape and then use the fishing line to thread the thicker line through the holes and pull it through. The trick is to taper the masking tape to a point, going past the end of the CL line so that you have a gradual increase in diameter from the fishing line to the thicker rope.

Got a bar I need to replace the line on right now, actually....
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:10 am

A friend recommended using Slingshot Line-Wax... I am wondering if this SS Dri-Lube was what he was referring to? Seems like its the right stuff to keep bars in better condition.

http://www.slingshotsports.com/Dri-Lube ... gory=12408

Dri-Lube is the easy to apply high-tech, high performance dry lubricant that makes lines, rigging, and anything that moves on your Set up run smoother, work more efficiently and last longer than you ever thought possible. Slingshot Dry-lubeis the only dry lubricant currently available that has been specifically designed for kiteboarding use. Dri-lube is a translucent liquid that sprays or wipes on and completely dries in seconds. So, unlike oils, silicones, and waxes, it will never attract dirt, water and contaminants that eventually degrade lubrication performance. It's your number one solution for decreased chicken loop wear.

Specifications:
# Applications:
Chicken Loop Line
5th Line
Kite Line
Bridles
Leader Lines
TRIM Cleats
De-power cleats
Chicken Loop Hole Assemblies
Pulleys
Canopy
Surefire Spreader Bar
Spreader Bar Pro and Quick Release
Harness suicide leash
Quick release pins
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

guidoz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by guidoz » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:41 am

consumer wrote:
guidoz wrote:one more thing: if that line breaks during riding you will not be in trouble. There are 2 grey lines as you can see. If one breaks, you loose the ability to use the depower strap but that is all. No problem to kite back to beach - no danger here

You know i've wondered about this. It's technically just one line double-backed on itself. Are you sure if you break one, it will hold? I'm worried that one side will slide through either the eyelet on the bottom (probably won't slide through the cleat, right?)

not 100% sure and I wouldn't wanna risk it. But you are definitely fine to end your session and fly back to the beach, no swimming. I would think that it can't slide through the cleat and I also can't really see it slide through the bottom part. But again, I wouldn't wanna risk it...