Racetrack. Where Do I park.

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
spvone
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Racetrack. Where Do I park.

Post by spvone » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:36 pm

It looks a lot different from the last time I was out there three years ago. Is Gilman the only way in now? Do I have to pay to park? Is this even a spot now? Thanks y'all.

Sfodysseus
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Racetrack. Where Do I park.

Post by Sfodysseus » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:14 pm

The spot is, indeed, still a spot, but it will remain under construction as the EBRPD completes the more complicated engineering to bridge the Bay Trail between the Bates Sports Facility by Gilman and the existing Bay Trail along Buchanan.

There will be a parking lot right by the beach when completed, but the area is being used to store construction equipment and supplies. The combination of displaced parking caused by construction and the reduced parking space caused by the need to store equipment has created a little bit of a parking pinch. You can usually find free parking along the Buchanan street lot in a matter of minutes if there's not one available. We are currently using the southernmost beach to launch and land. You can anchor your tie on the fence if you don't have a sand anchor. Be aware of pedestrians in the area and ask them to move if necessary. We had an incident the other day where a kite fell in a lull and knocked a woman out of her chair on the beach. She was not pleased.

You can enter from Gilman and park near the water, but the long fence along the trail only has one entrance near Fleming Point (right at the northern foot of the hill below the clubhouse), so you have to walk your gear a few hundred yards to the beach or, during lower tides, you can launch from Fleming Point. You can enter through the GGF gates for free after 3:30pm. The north gate at Buchanan is occasionally closed on Mondays and often locks by 6pm when open. The southern entrance from Gilman is always open, however.

Feel free to contact me at a_e_sullivan@yahoo.com if you need more info.

spvone
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Racetrack. Where Do I park.

Post by spvone » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:18 pm

Excellent. Thank you.