line length issues.....need advice/input.

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Thu May 19, 2011 3:12 pm

When I bought my kites I got 2 bars in the deal. I've been using one exclusively figuring I would save a good one 'till I was past the newbe gear thrashing stage.

Today I tied my lines off to the brush bar on my bumper and ran them out full length. Here's what I found:

1. The rear lines are square (bar is parallel to the tie off point)
2. Front lines are about 3-4 inches off. One line is significantly shorter than the other.
3. The front lines (both) are longer than the rear lines.
4. It takes over half of the trim strap to get them close to even. (not counting the unequal front line length)

The bar is a new this season, has about 20 sessions on it +/-. My kites have had a tendency to fly to the (pilot's) right when stalled overhead, and turn quicker that way. I figured it was just being new and not knowing what I was doing, but maybe the lines are a factor.
The front lines do not have any simple adjustment that can me made to even out the length due to how the safety system works.
I pulled out the other bar that is brand new and did the same check. Bar is square, and lines are nearly equal (within less than in inch) with the trim strap out all the way (powered up).

Given the above data, here are my questions:

1. How can I shorten the one center line given there are no more knots to move it up (and not enough extra length to cut and re-splice)?
2. How critical is it that there is such a difference in length?
3. Given that it takes over half of the trim strap throw to make front/back lines equal, what are the implications to performance and comfort?
4. How long should a set of lines last before stretch is a factor?
5. are there any other concerns I should have that I haven't asked about?

I guess I'll ride my other bar next go out and see if I notice anything. Thanks in advance for the help.

Noob

The111
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: line length issues.....need advice/input.

Post by The111 » Thu May 19, 2011 3:47 pm

What bar?

The way one of my Slingshot bars works, one front line will appear shorter than the other, but it really has elastic in it that stretches to the right length when put under tension. That is the only system I am familiar with... not sure if other brands do something similar.

As far as front/back... it is my understanding they should be the same length. Front lines being longer than back seems a dangerous thing to me, the default setting would be overpowered or stalled I'd think.
Last edited by The111 on Fri May 20, 2011 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Thu May 19, 2011 4:00 pm

The111 wrote:What bar?
Starkites Probar 2010 model (same as 2009 I thing)
The way Slingshot CSS works, one front line will appear shorter than the other, but it really has elastic in it that stretches to the right length when put under tension. That is the only system I am familiar with... not sure if other brands do something similar.
Interesting. Don't know about that system, but the 'new' bar I have has equal line lengths so I'm guessing thats not the way my system works.
As far as front/back... it is my understanding they should be the same length. Front lines being longer than back seems a dangerous thing to me, the default setting would be overpowered or stalled I'd think.
Seems logical but I won't have any empirical feedback until tomorrow when I fly the other bar. Will post my findings.

Thanks!

kingfisher
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kingfisher » Thu May 19, 2011 4:51 pm

If you dont have any knots to adjust on the front lines, you might have knots under your floats on the steering lines. Just pull the floats up and check. North has 3 knots under there floats.HTH

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Thu May 19, 2011 9:43 pm

I'm already maxed out on the rear line adjustment under the floats. Is there any good way to shorten a single line? Still need to find a way to balance the two front lines.

kitecrazy
Regular
Regular

Post by kitecrazy » Fri May 20, 2011 7:46 am

Post a picture of the bar and leader lines layed out together or if you find a picture online of what you have, post a link. It'll give us a better idea of what we're dealing with so we can guid you in the right direction.

I have a sneeking suspicion that you may have to remove your front lines, tie some knots in your leader lines to shorten them then re-attach your front lines to the leader lines.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Fri May 20, 2011 8:52 am

When I started we made our own bars, they are referred to as GETTO BARS now a dayz-

Please come by my shop and I'll assist you personally. It's in Oakland, I may have a few other things to pass on to you as well-
We can then go to the beach at Alameda and I'll TEST IT for you tell it's totally dailed in :D

I'm serious, simply call-
(510)882-9389
Greg

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Fri May 20, 2011 9:09 am

to answer one of your questions. Line length is critical. for most kites you want equal line length. This allows the kite to oversheet slightly when the bar is pulled all the way in. if the front lines are that much longer than the back I'm surprised you can even fly the kite. I like to set my kites for no oversheet meaning the back lines are slightly (less than 1/2 in) longer than front. Lately, tho riding a bigger kite i've been setting it up to oversheet since it is slow to stall. But that is a whole different subject.

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Fri May 20, 2011 10:20 am

Stretch them out. I tune my bar about every 20 sessions. Run the lines out and tie them off to something and crank on them till they are all the same length. If they don't stretch to equal lengths you can put some leaders on your kite to extend the shorter ones. Usually the left lines on my kite stretch before the right side does (think its because i do more tricks one direction than the other). I have actually been progressing because I now practice all my tricks in both directions to try to keep the stretching as equal as I can. DO NOT TIE KNOTS IN THE LINE. I would be hesitant to tie knots in the leader lines but its probably OK, just make sure you can get them out so if you replace the lines the new ones will rig correctly. Slingshot has, IMO, the best bar and lines on the market, they are one of the industry leaders in that department. Highly recommended.

Takes some patience but they will stretch.
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Fri May 20, 2011 9:04 pm

LMG,

I'll take you up on that as soon as I can get up there. Maybe end of next week. Thanks.

In the meantime I'll try to post up a photo of the setup. It will make it much easier to understand.

Haven't had a chance to try the new bar I have as the surf is macking and I couldn't make it up to the bay.

M