Dangerous launching at 3rd

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
mjwarne
Contributor
Contributor
Dangerous launching at 3rd

Post by mjwarne » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:08 pm

I had a nasty experience at 3rd today. Somebody lost control of their kite after launching around 5pm as the wind was picking up.

Rather than let go of the bar and release they held onto the kite. The lines sliced straight through my new wet suit and took a nice slice out of the back of my leg. One of the lines also wrapped round my thumb which I luckily managed to yank out at the cost of just a rope burn - otherwise I might be typing this 1 handed.

Obviously accidents and mistakes happen but at a crowded launch like 3rd everyone should know the right thing to do if a launch goes wrong - holding on to an out of control kite is NOT the right thing.

Please, whoever this was today, learn from this. Next time the consequences could be much more serious than me having to buy a new wetsuit.

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Re: Dangerous launching at 3rd

Post by shred_da_gorge » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:32 pm

Very glad you weren't hurt worse. I had a similar experience in Hood River. Karma dictates the perp will learn from this mistake and pony up some help for the wetsuit repair.

Remember everyone this is still early season, winds are trickier. I believe there was a post here in the past about this, so beware winds tend to change more quickly now than in late June through August. But at least they're back! :D

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:29 am

I don't know what happened yesterday it was a zoo.

I saw at least three major problems and numerous minor ones. The first was right when I rounded the bend I saw a guys kite flapping on the ground and knew immediately something was wrong.

Next thing I know it hot launched and the guy is dragging across the beach. I immediately yelled for him to eject and soon others joined in the call. He finally ejected - with no leash.

People - when you hook in to launch - leash first then Chicken loop. Practice throwing your safety. It should be your first thought not your last one if something goes wrong.

I saw someone else throw someone's kite.

And as usual I saw launchers moving around. Look - if your are launching a kite do NOT move. Kite control is the responsibility of the kiter not the launcher.

Kiters - spend a few minutes understanding how to move up or down wind and how that affects your kite before launch. If the kite is not flying you are in the wrong position. Move before giving the thumbs up. Make sure there is tension on all 4 lines.

The wind was a little more west yesterday than a typical summer day - you have to learn to fly the kite not just launch the same orientation every time.

I overheard a conversation that went something like "are you sure you want to fly a 14". In the end decisions like that are up to the kiter - but guys if everyone is flying a 10m and all you've got is a 14m you ought to think twice about your situation. It's better to just sit one out than risk your life or other people's.

And finally as I was walking out someone started to pick up a kite for launch whose lines I was walking over. A quick shout solved that without issue - fortunately.

Please please please always be aware of your surroundings. Don't just launch a kite because someone asks you to. Look around you first. Is it safe to launch? If someone or something is in your way don't launch - or even pick up the kite. Take whatever action is necessary to clear the obstruction and then launch.

I know everyone was excited to kite yesterday as it was predicted to be our first "summer conditions" for the season.

Please don't translate enthusiasm into carelessness. Yesterday was really spooky and I didn't even see the situation that the OP experienced.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:31 am

Wow!
Those are EXACTLY the kinds of situations that got me to buy a jetski and move AWAY from just about every known launch site...

One day I was at Sherman's forward beach and it was getting pretty crowded. Kites were going up and and down, people running in and out, experanced kiters doing tricks right on the inside- I was standing next to Chip Wasson and when I realized I was literially shaking inside I suddenly blurted out," MAN!- I'VE GOT TO GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE", Chip turned to me and said, What's wrong???, I responded, "I'm scared!"-

I wasn't afraid for me, I was afraid for THEM! I realized, what was going on I was POWERLESS to CHANGE (by myself). Sure I could try to control the growing unsafe conditions, I could TRY, but they wouldn't listen, JUST LIKE I DIDN'T LISTEN WHY BACK WHEN-

Well I've learned since then, I know some of us are going to HAVE TO DIE (or get seriously injured) for OTHERS to come to understand!
You see- until you experence REAL PAIN (personally), the kind that RIPS YOUR HEART OUT, (and changes EVERYTHING) you simply can't understand-

Make it a GOOD DAY-
L.M.G. O:)

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:13 am

i hope the person not only apologized for this but also covered the damages. ?

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:21 am

if you look at the graph, you can tell what happened. it started mild and just kept building and building.

as for " In the end decisions like that are up to the kiter " i don't really agree. I once was asked to launch a relatively small and inexperienced guy on a 14 in 35 mph winds. I told him no. and then I told everyone else on the beach not to launch his kite. He was pretty pissed...

as the launcher, you have a certain responsibility for the safety of the person whose kite you are launching. So, I'm not gonna launch someone who I don't think can handle the conditions. I don't want his or her brain/spinal injury on my conscience.

that said, as to the original post, he bought you a new wetsuit right?
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

manplesvanuatu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by manplesvanuatu » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:43 am

hey all,

First good to hear that who ever got hurt didn't sustain more injuries.
I do concur with Adam. If you kite at the upper Launch there will be many instances of this, this season. The newbies will be out in full. After taking classes at Alameda where most likely the wind is soft, they will show up at 3rd with their 12's and 14's...
If you kite at the upper launch, is more experienced and helping out with the kite launch..PLEASE question the kite pilot in reference to kite size if you see it's off the norm. In my opinion..if the pilot is humble enough he shouldn't say anything. Do not launch the kite if you think it is unsafe. So far all the advices i have given to the ones I see at the upper launch have be taken with positive attitudes so t's not that they object to any recommendations
thanks for reading
paul
ps..yes the person who made this mistake yesterday should step up and pay for the wetsuit repair.

mjwarne
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mjwarne » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:13 am

The last I saw of him was as he frantically ran after his kite which had blown out into the water. Never saw him again - I was hoping he might read these posts.

baypirate
Regular
Regular

Post by baypirate » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:19 am

Oh, so it looks like we had a bad launch every half hour or so? And it wasn't even an weekend... This is going to be a looong summer.

I'm starting to think that this forum is preaching to the choir - I mean I'm pretty sure we go every year through launch procedures, how to find the edge of the window etc. So maybe should take a different tack, and echoing Adam, consider whether to be a little more proactive ourselves.

For instance, when lifting the kite on the wingtip, the assistant should not be pushed by the kite (windward); if pilot doesn't move around to find edge of the window, DO signal/yell him directions (also I think it IS assistant's duty to check that the bridle is clear of tangles). Conversely, if hopefully the pilot ask for a hold-down/spotting from behind, DO check he's leashed in, depowered a bit etc. etc.

We also have serious manners-to-safety problems, such as launching kites when somebody is just landing 3ft away, launching with people downwind in the "decapitation zone" of one's lines etc. Also, of late nobody seems to check their rear mirror before transitioning, and won't even bother w/ starboard ROW and leeward kite low, windward kite high.

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:06 am

Sounds like the OP's post was the same incident I saw.

As to responsibility of kiter or launcher on size / experience - yes I agree judgement is required by all. I didn't mean to imply that launchers should just launch anyone disregarding all else.

Always pay attention and act with caution and awareness.

If anyone wants to join me I'd be willing to donate $20 for your new wetsuit - assuming the responsible party does not step up.

I personally think as a community we should help each other out especially in situations like this. Ponying up a bit of cash might also help us remember that there are consequences for unsafe actions and we all have a responsibility for self policing.