Newbie ?'s from windsurfer

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
nbon
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Newbie ?'s from windsurfer

Post by nbon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:43 am

Too many times sitting on the dock with 12-15kt winds makes has made me decide to take up yet another time consuming sport. I've searched through many of the beginner posts here and they've been very helpful.

I'm on the older side and make my living with my body so I'm planning on being a safe and sane cruiser. With an emphasis on safety I'm working with the trainer heading toward lessons etc. I'll probably eventually buy a used, but recent vintage kite or two to start but was thinking of 2011 bar and lines just because I want the safest system possible. So my questions are...

1) Which bar and line system do you consider safest? Most effective de-power? Easiest, fastest QR system?

2) Is the most recent equipment safest?

3) Any advantage to 5 line in terms of safety even if its more inconvenient?

4) Will any recent 4 line bar work with any recent 4 line kite?

Thanks,

Newbie Norman

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Re: Newbie ?'s from windsurfer

Post by Sonny » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:56 am

First, don't buy anything until you have completed the lesson. Second, it's better and cheaper to buy the used kite and bar as a package. Third, if you plan on buying a 2011 bar, first get the kite then buy the bar.
I don't feel that 2011 bar makes it saftest, most new bars with the SLE kites are safe. I would try to stay with 2009 to 2010 kites depending on the condition of the kite. Most new SLE kites do not match with 5 line kite bar but most 4 line bar does work with 4 line kite.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:44 am

IMHO, the 5th-line sytems are the most reassuring bits of safety gear I own. It's nice to be able to punch-out anytime, even alone, with the kite tethered to my harness hook, flagging downwind, powerless. That said, if you accidentally wrap the 5th-line around the kite in a crash, it usually requires a land-based relaunch. If I were halfway through a channel crossing I'd be bummed about this drawback for sure...
Go bigga'

maxsteamer
Regular
Regular

Post by maxsteamer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:07 am

nbon wrote:Too many times sitting on the dock with 12-15kt winds makes has made me decide to take up yet another time consuming sport. I've searched through many of the beginner posts here and they've been very helpful.

I'm on the older side and make my living with my body so I'm planning on being a safe and sane cruiser. With an emphasis on safety I'm working with the trainer heading toward lessons etc. I'll probably eventually buy a used, but recent vintage kite or two to start but was thinking of 2011 bar and lines just because I want the safest system possible. So my questions are...

1) Which bar and line system do you consider safest? Most effective de-power? Easiest, fastest QR system?

2) Is the most recent equipment safest?

3) Any advantage to 5 line in terms of safety even if its more inconvenient?

Hello there Norm Dude!!...my name is Max and I love your honesty :dance: I'm an old buzzard myself 62 years last count .. I come from a windsurfing backround also and I personally thank you for asking questions here as it is a smart move fo sho...

Sounds like you have done alot of research on gear .. but it would be a big mistake as sonny pointed out to buy anything untill you take your lessons .. most companys have a gear deal with there lesson packages and it would be better to buy the same brand you learned on as your progress will be faster IMO.. the 5th line is a lifesaver for new kiters and the line can be added to any pump leash line holder at the kite and then routed to your bar.. and better yet that line will kill the kites power in a punch out or self-rescue.

The buddy system is a smart move with this sport as most seasoned kiters are a part of a crew that keep a sharp eye on each other at every site.. so if your new at that site they will know your new no worries this is the norm with most kiters for safety reasons..most of your questions can be answered right here in this fourm but if you can't find a bro to kite with??? please don't kite alone ...I will ask one of our guys from (The Shellgate Crew) to meet up with you.

Max be without you " :hand: unless you opt-in with restrictions

4) Will any recent 4 line bar work with any recent 4 line kite?

Thanks,

Newbie Norman
http://www.cautionkites.com

Zombie
Spitfire
Trespass
DaKine
O'Neill

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:27 am

When it comes to gear I know there will be many different opinions, but many brands have gotten away from 5th line systems and back to four line rigging. I've been flying Slingshot kites with the CSS safety and the kite depowers flawlessly to one of the front lines every time with four line simplicity. 5th lines can just as easily get tangles in all kinds of ways as well, (around bar ends, wingtips, around the kite in surf possibly destroying it). Just saying so any new folks don't assume it's the only safe way, it's one way, and some would say it's becoming the "old" way of controlling a kite's safety and structure.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:29 am

dont be afraid of a modern kite- the kite is your friend.
sure it can kill you, but it takes allot of disrespect before itl really will.
Start with a big trainer and fly it tell your numb between the ears (basicly flying it with your eyes closed)

In reality YOU are in control- Learn muscle memory and basic flying FIRST and you'll progress VERY quikly through school-

Remember: HAVE FUN! You'll be over WATER (hopefully), it hurts a little be it's pretty safe (using the buddy system.
Enjoy-
L.M.G.

manplesvanuatu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by manplesvanuatu » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi Norman,

Three of the answers posted above came from 3 kite veterans with so much experience that it is hard to argue. I am a newbie myself with only 3 seasons under the belt.
I concur. Don't buy any gear until you take the lesson. Usually when you take a lesson a newbie tend to lean towards the brand and the model the school preach to you...but it does NOT have to..all modern kites are the same so once you take a class you can chose whatever fancy your taste. Don't buy anything less than a 2008-2010 model(well even make it less than 2009) and you know that you are getting a decent kite...since 2009 no one really make "lemons" anymore.
Like Sonny says...2010-2011 bars doesn't make it safer....so it's not like buying a newer bar with an older kite is gonna make it safer..it's better buy the same bar/kite combo..some of the kites have different lenght briddles so another brand bar may not work. I don't think doing experimentation is worth the trouble at this stage.
If you were learning to drive and bought a regular set up car, would you start to modify the engine to get some performance etc? (he! not sure if this anology applies:-)

Don't do too much research it will only confuses you...buy a trainer kite if you can and watch the video that comes with it..then go to an open space and practice it...the more hours you spent there...will equate to some easy time with the kite instructor when it comes to the real class.

Then go to the launch site and watch and watch everyone else how it gets done...what are the mistakes (so you don't do them), how people launch stuff, how everyone line up the kites, where do they enter into the water, where are the potential hazards of the area of kiting...etc

Next is to bring a nice six pack of beers and start making friends, ask questions..the sooner you find buddies, they will help you and give you advices (not to mention there will be someone to watch your back)...but take these advices if only they make sense..everyone got them

Don't hurry to go into the water at first..even though you have your kite and are setting it up many time slowlier than everyone else and still are not in the water as much in the beginning, it's ok...everytime spent to that is time well spent (helpful)..repetitions will help you do things right..for example you hurry things and connect the wrong line things will become dangerous very quick!

This sport should not hurt if you do it right...

So see you this coming season!

paul

maxsteamer
Regular
Regular

Post by maxsteamer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:55 pm

Hell Ollie,

I never had any problems with my SS link 5th line ? was your kite a SS ? or some other kite brand,the reason I ask is I had no idea ? but I do stand to be corrected as this kiter most likely does not know the difference between the two systems.

Norman.. if you are reading this thread ? The kiter that spoke about the 5th line is a seasoned vet or jet kiter and has a better understanding about bar systems then I... so I would stay away from the 5th ..do to his info on these systems.

Max be without you :hand: unless you opt-in with restrictions
http://www.cautionkites.com

Zombie
Spitfire
Trespass
DaKine
O'Neill

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:47 pm

maxsteamer wrote:Hell Ollie,

I never had any problems with my SS link 5th line ? was your kite a SS ? or some other kite brand,the reason I ask is I had no idea ?
The Link's could be flown in either 4-line bridled mode or 5th line mode, I flew them both ways, and mostly 5th line. I wasn't saying that they are wrong or bad, but just saying that you don't need a 5th line to be safe. The link's are 2007 kites and things change, SS has only had four line bars for a few seasons now, even the Fuel is 4-line. Why? Because they've designed kites with other forms of support for the kite itself (bridles - some with pulleys, and the Rally with no pulley's at all, or no bridles at all - Fuel) and safety systems and releases that don't rely on a 5th line and still provide a high level of safety and depower. I guess my opinion is that simpler is better, and more so for beginners, which is also why, as result of different methods of kite support and safety systems, there are very few 5-line kites now.

jbirdmarin
Regular
Regular

Post by jbirdmarin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:10 pm

L.M.G. wrote:don't be afraid of a modern kite- the kite is your friend.
sure it can kill you, but it takes a lot of disrespect before it really will.
L.M.G.
=D> =D> my new favorite quote.