Car break in at Third Ave

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jane
Joey
Joey
Car break in at Third Ave

Post by jane » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:14 pm

Just a notice/warning to everyone that someone broke into our car today at Third Ave 9/23/10 while we were kiting. When we finished kiting, our wallets and phones were gone from the car. The hide-a-key box was broken into, but replaced where we left it. We think they must have seen us hide it. In fact, we remember seeing two guys hanging out watching us that did not really look like they were part of the kiting scene, but we didnt do anthing. Just a warning - Keep an eye out. The only good news is that neither the car nor the rest of our gear was not stolen. Will take key out on water with me from now on.

The111
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Car break in at Third Ave

Post by The111 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:39 pm

That sucks. I had a guy trying to sell me on the hidey boxes the other day when he saw me stick the key in my boardshorts. Said it could stab me in the leg if I left it there. Not sure I see how that could happen in a water landing. I guess it's remotely possible... but I'll take the risk and the cool scar if it happens.

What time did it happen? Hard to believe they would do it with kiters all over. And there was a cop there around sunset because of a guy who almost got stuck in the channel when his kite tore.

stone
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stone » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:20 am

That totally sucks. Times are tough, more theft's gonna be tried, and in the off-season there won't be as many of us at the lower parking lot to keep an eye on things.

The111, I've never heard of a key in pocket stabbing a rider. I keep a bottle opener in there too. Maybe I'll get two scars?

The111
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by The111 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:24 am

stone wrote:I keep a bottle opener in there too.
You find lots of unopened beers floating in the channel? :shock:

stone
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stone » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:44 am

Ya never know--if Ovi can find a beer mid-air us lesser kiters might get lucky with a floater. You'd be surprised what you can find out there: https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... f=6&t=8755

Anyone still have the Ovi beer jump photo? The old photos disappeared when the site was rearchitected.

ventopilota
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ventopilota » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:14 am

I was with Jane when it happened and my stuff was ripped off too from her car while we were out (enjoying a FUN day on the water btw...)

I had that feeling when we were getting ready at the car that these two guys were simply 'out of place'... these two guys, dressed in urban garb (not flip flops and board shorts like the rest of our wind chasing family) walking around and moving their car about, walking around with their hands in their pockets looking at the beach, walking to the porto potty, and back to the path; almost circling like vultures in a way. Their car was a four door sedan, with a little pimp flair (sparkly paint, spiffy wheels); not a car/van full of gear.

I gave it no other thought than than they were just a couple of dudes checking out how fun kiting looks.... but, in reality they are preying on us!!!! They know our routine. I can see the one dude walking around when I pulled up the 3rd ave webcam shots from yesterday. (he is looking at me while I walk away from the car). Unreal.

they racked up about $13k on our credit cards as of 8pm last night.

The irony is that they didn't rip off our gear!!!!???- so we can get out on the water today!!! woo hoo!!!
please keep an eye out for weird behavior.

IDEA: what about posting a sign at the entrance that says 'this area under video surveillance"?
I would gladly pitch in or install this myself... thoughts??

what comes around goes around... RIGHT?? :)
peace!

wjb
Resident
Resident

Post by wjb » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:17 am

Here is what I have been using for a couple years now. I can open it in the dark with no flashlight when those Sherman sunset sessions run long :mrgreen: . I just attach it to my trailer hitch. Maybe your car has a tow hook you can loop it through. They make a different one to accomodate the newer keys that are very wide.
Attachments
lock box.jpg
lock box.jpg (13.77KiB)Viewed 3598 times
It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind. T.S.Eliot

BAK_iphone
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by BAK_iphone » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:28 am

I have always had a piece of 1/4" spectra to which I loop my car/truck key on and wear around my neck tucked into my wetsuit. The lock box is good but I'd need two as I may be in one of two vehicles...

Posted with TouchBB on my iPhone

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:06 am

"I pulled up the 3rd ave webcam shots from yesterday. (he is looking at me while I walk away from the car). Unreal."
Maybe you can take a "picture" of the webcam shot and post it
steve

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:36 am

You should be able to pull up a pic of their car from the webcam. Next time they are there call the cops.