HELP!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
zh4k
Joey
Joey
HELP!

Post by zh4k » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:23 pm

vcvcxz
Last edited by zh4k on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

stone
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: OHIO Kiteboarder traveling to San Fran/Sacramento NEED HELP!

Post by stone » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:02 am

Hey zh4k, what you need to know:

Alameda -- best for a kiter not yet going upwind. Bring your 12, and hope to get lucky with wind (maybe 1-2 days a week in August)

3rd Ave -- ok for a kiter not yet going upwind, but realize you will be doing downwinders that require landing your kite and winding up your lines before walking back up to the upper launch. Park at the lower launch, watch for a while to see the wind shadow you have to deal with coming in there, then walk your gear to the upper launch and pump up there. Wind maybe 3-4 days a week. Bring 10 or 12 depending on your weight.

Sherman -- you cannot launch there without being able to 100% always go upwind within the first 20 feet of your waterstart. This is not hyperbole, and failure to go upwind instantly will result in your kite landing in a bunch of spiky trees and pricker bushes, and then the angry windsurfers you dumped your kite on will charge. You might be able to do a downwinder via the folks who teach at Sherman, but talk to them to see what they think. And please check out the launch on foot before starting the downwinder so you know where to land and how tight the launch is. On a downwinder the wind tends to be stronger in the last half-mile around the launch.

I assume you mean the golden gate bridge; forget about it this year. It's nearly 2 miles upwind of the launch and demands a lot from a kiter. Invest your time in learning to ride a directional in gnarly conditions and come back when you're ready. It'll be there.

jaxonholer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jaxonholer » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:27 am

For me, I use the same kites, size 8 and 10, but if you're going to Alameda, a 12 is probably wise. Your best bet is to get to 3rd ave, it's the most reliable wind, safest launch, best wind direction, friendly currents, few boats and all around great beginner spot for you. It's a beginner spot in how it's friendly to beginners, but it's great for all skill levels. If Alemeda is working (crown beach, near live2kite kite shop), that's even better, aside from the light wind this time of year.

The other locations have many obstacles that would suck the fun out of your day, especially Crissy (gg bridge) and sherman. For sure go to these places to watch and talk to locals, but just spectate. If you want to ride, hit 3rd.

Keep reading this site, there's way more information than you need. Enjoy!

3rd ave is located right near Mariners Point Golf Course
2401 East 3rd Avenue
Foster City, CA 94404-1067

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:53 am

Downwinders at Sherman Island, great alternative to going off beach if your upwind skills need work.

Edgekiteboarding@yahoo.com

Nat Lincoln

775-721-1132

Great time 8 & 10 m kites.

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:56 am

Kiting under the Golden Gate IS actually a possibility. You should contact john at kitethebay.com
for a few $$ he will take you out on his boat.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:08 am

oh, and nobody calls it "san fran" unless you're not from "san fran" so...uhh...don't call it that.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

Stefaans
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Stefaans » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:16 am

Listen to Kitenaked! Get in touch with Nat for the ride upwind to the upper launch to do downwinders. This is by far your best bet the couple of $ you spent on the rides upwind is less than the extra travel to get to Sf and at SI its nice and warm.
Yes 8 and 10m! at 165lbs that 10m is more than you could use. if its that light that you would need a 12m at your weight with a huge board then you probably won't be able to keep the kite in the air anyway.

zh4k
Joey
Joey

Post by zh4k » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:50 am

Thanks all for the help so far its really helping dial in for this trip.

Based on the recommendations I def. will bring the 10 and maybe the 8 if I can.

The boat upwind at Sherman sounds good especially if it ends up cheaper then hitting up 3rd avenue since I'll be coming from the Sacramento area anyways.

Thanks for the specific address at 3rd, and I found the post about sherman and how to get there, but not Alameda yet. (Also any tips on the specific wind directions would be awesome)

Def. won't try GG (crissy) until more experience and that boat idea sounds to expensive at $400, but thanks for the info

As to calling San Francisco "San Fran" --- I wasn't going to call it that, but my words were limited and I just chose that word quickly to shorten it....Still, who cares

recoprianto
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by recoprianto » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:01 pm

Send me a private message if you want to carpool from sac to Sherman. I live in midtown in Sac and I go to Sherman 3-4 days a week. I can get you sorted out once we get there.

Reco

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:20 pm

Bring your 8m too.