North Vegas Versus Slingshot Rev?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
erikabike
Contributor
Contributor
North Vegas Versus Slingshot Rev?

Post by erikabike » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:58 am

Hey Folks, I am a beginner who has been up riding around a bit and I am buying some kites. I will mostly be riding at Sherman Island and in Alameda and will eventually work my way to Chrissy Field since that's close to home.

Anyhew, what would you say about the North Vegas vs the Slingshot Rev? I know one is 5 line vs the 4 line rev, but does this really matter? What will be more stable for me? I'm fairly lightweight - only about 122 lbs or so.

I tell ya, all the kiter folks I have met have been SUPER COOL, but it's darned hard to get in to this sport. Gots to be determined and seek out the knowledge of others!

Thanks!

alexp415
Contributor
Contributor

Re: North Vegas Versus Slingshot Rev?

Post by alexp415 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:11 pm

Erika -

I started last season on '06 Vegases. Great kites, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend them to a beginner, as they are more "performance" kites. From what I've heard, the Rev would be more appropriate for you, but I would also recommend the North Rebel, which is what I'm riding now - they are hybrid kites, have quite a bit of depower (but no bridles), are very stable, and have the same 5th line system as the Vegas, which is great from a safety standpoint (though others will surely disagree).

Cheers,

Alex

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:14 pm

You should really be looking at the Rebel over the Vegas if you are a beginner. Vegas is a freestyle kite and has slightly less range/depower. The rev is a bridled kite and will have slightly more power than the same sized Rebel. Alot of it has to do with what you are used to flying now. The 2 kites are VERY different. But atthe same time they are both stable, easy to relaunch, and have huge range. The Rev will produce more power in a turn than the Rebel, but youmay not want that. The Rebel is buttery smooth all around, no wierd characteristics. The Slingshots are known for having lighter bar pressure whichsome equate to feedback. The North has more and is very linear in depower as well as feedback. The 4 lines is nice if you tend to try tricks where you get tangled alot or roll your kite. The 5th line is great if you are self sufficient. The Rebel will suck to the beach when self landing which is great when you get to that point. The rev will hop around a little which is sketchy in higher winds. This is of course not an issue for most as there is normally someone there to helpland/launch you.

Best answer, try them both. To each their own. They both have great characteristics that you will be happy with, it's more a matter of what you "feel" most natural with.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:05 pm

you want an opinion? here's mine. Don't bother with the vegas. too advanced for you. Rev would be great...but, if you're looking at the North line, the Evo or Rebel would be a better call than the vegas.

what kites did you learn on? at your weight, you should probably get getting a 6 or 7m no matter what kite you choose.

-adam
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:34 pm

I rode 2006 Vegas' for several years, I've been riding 4 line Slingshots for two years now (Links and Revs).

The Rev, at least in the small sizes, basically relaunches itself. I've never even had to pull a line to get it up off the water. I personally wish I hadn't had to worry about the fifth line relaunch system when I was learning. As far as 5th line as a safety system vs. the new SS safety system, I'm not sure there's really much difference.

I think four lines makes the whole process of launch, self-rescue, and relaunch much easier and less stressful. And let's face it, when you are a beginner, you spend alot of your time figuring out these three things. Many people who have switched from North will mention this as one of their reasons.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

erikabike
Contributor
Contributor

Post by erikabike » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:08 pm

Thanks for the input folks. Tough decisions! See you out there! eeee

eag
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by eag » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:27 pm

get a 4 line kite!

Why are you only interested in those 2? There are lots of good kites out there. The new batch 4 line sle kites all work well. OR Rise, SS Rev, North Evo, Naish Cult, Cabrihna Crossbow, etc

As a beginner any of these will work great and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in flying characteristics at this point. Look for a bar you like and a durable brand. I'm partial to the OR Rise for both counts. The big downside to the Slingshot is the stupid safety release. They are going with the industry standard push away in 2010 I hear.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:57 pm

eag wrote: The big downside to the Slingshot is the stupid safety release.
What's so hard about pulling on a red knob on the chicken loop though?

eag
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by eag » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:26 pm

I had Links once and it was fine, I just think there should be one constant system. Most beginners will learn on a push-away release. I'm so used to push away that in a blind situation, like tumbling in waves, i don't think the SS is as safe.

If you're getting lofted at Sherman, and you're new, you want it to be as intuitive as possible. It surprises me that SS has stuck with it this long.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:00 pm

eag wrote:I had Links once and it was fine, I just think there should be one constant system. Most beginners will learn on a push-away release. I'm so used to push away that in a blind situation, like tumbling in waves, i don't think the SS is as safe.

If you're getting lofted at Sherman, and you're new, you want it to be as intuitive as possible. It surprises me that SS has stuck with it this long.
I agree about the push away SAFETY, it's best...
As far as Slings Bail Release: it's bomber and works perfect, if only a little fingery on reload...

The truth is many makers make great kites today- but as a total beginner it's hard to get lots manufactures to loan you kites for demo purposes due to liability issues, and when you place questions online you get biased ansures.. So-It's a big deal getting your first kites, I feel you.

I suggest waiting on purchasing your own kites until you've taken a few more lessons and had the chance to try out a bit more equipment first hand.

Enjoy-
L.M.G.