at a fork in the road

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
yojimbo
Regular
Regular
at a fork in the road

Post by yojimbo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:14 am

Season is winding down and was looking for feedback concerning lightwind kiting. Should I go for a big kite, 20m or should I go for a directional kiteboard/surfboard?

I am leaning towards a directional so that I can start learning how to ride strapless.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Re: at a fork in the road

Post by windhorny » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:42 am

large kites are not the answer. large board is and a kite that is as fast as you can get away with for your size.

robotvox
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by robotvox » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:12 pm

I would agree with this, too big of a kite can be difficult in marginal winds. When I was learning in Alameda, I started to have more luck when i sized down from a 15 to a 14 meter. If it is really light it seems to help to have more manueverability, since you are constantly having to keep the kite moving, doing vertical figure 8's etc. You can try to use a bigger kite and have it parked, but once it starts to luff it's hard to keep it up. There is something satisfying (though not exactly exhilerating) when you are able to have a session in winds under 15. Go for a big board (prodigy 158 worked wonders for me). Personally surf-style boards feel squirrelly to me, but that's just a matter of opinion. You definitely get some added float with them. Good luck. You should have plenty of light wind days to practice, haha.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:32 pm

there are a number of solutions for lightwind . . .but it basically comes down to 2 options

1. big kite. This will help for a few extra mph. beyond that, it will hurt you. however, for those few mph, you'll be able to do all the tricks you used to do on your little kite and still have your normal board. so yes, there is a time and a place for a big kite.

2. big board. you've got 3 options as I see it. 1. surfboard 2. skimboard 3. big twintip if you get a surfboard, i would recommend getting a quad, or a very fast thruster. if a surfboard is too wave oriented, it will have more rocker and a more aggressive thruster setup and you won't really gain much low-end (it will be floaty but slow, and most new kites really get their power by riding fast). a skimboard can be really fun and cheap and fits easily in the car. a big twintip can be ridden fast and will arguably have as much low-end as the skim or the surfboard, but there aren't a lot of tricks you can do in those conditions other than maybe surface passes and weak kiteloops, whereas with the skim you can do shove-its and with the surfboard you can practice jibes and carve around.

oh, i forgot one thing. it also depends on how much you weigh. generally, light weight people benefit more from the "big board" style, where as heavier people can get away with a big kite, because heavier people tend to not get overpowered as quickly. a 200 lb guy could put up a giant 16m sle and not get blown off the water if it picks up to 20...
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

K. Cliff
Regular
Regular

Post by K. Cliff » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:06 pm

Adam who you calling fat? :) Yep I'm 220lbs and I ride my 16m most of the time but there is no way I would waste my money on a larger kite. LMG said it once, and I totally believe it "You can have one kite just Carry 30 boards". Also with the new kites out I don't think I'll ever buy a 16m again.
Deltaviking1@gmail.com
Shuttles available upwind from Pittsburg and Sherman all summer. Come see what kiting west has to offer.

glenn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by glenn » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:27 pm

There might need to be some qualifyers added to the 1 kite scenario.......but the general point is legit. Go for the surfboard jimbo!

yojimbo
Regular
Regular

Post by yojimbo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:35 pm

Skim board, like this?

http://www.kite-line.com/kiteboarding/b ... .php?i=416

I had been considering a North Rocketfish.

How is the skim board different? Is it advantageous in light winds? I really like the idea of strapless riding.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:56 pm

that looks like it would be perfect! the ropcketfish as well. I have never seen a skim with fins like that.

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:43 pm

Take the largest kite you find acceptable for the turning speed (for me a 16 C) and then a flat big board like a Door, Glide, Jesusboard. I still think they work way better than a directional / skim board as you will get a better speed with them which gives you the bywind you need to get power in the kite.

For me an old Nemesis 16 and a 160 Door is the winner as I am the last one at 3rd who can stay upwind. I am 170lbs. Havnt been at Alameda in low low wind to crosscheck with the guys there.

G

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:51 pm

Big board, no doubt. Around here anyway, where we don't have "true" lightwind conditions. (I have a 2007 5'10" North RF for sale if you're interested BTW, which is a far better lightwind board than the '08 6'0". Owned 'em both, already sold the '08, just too small for me, needs quite a bit of juice.)
Go bigga'