Ready to demo and buy a "new" kite

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
tomcai
Contributor
Contributor
Ready to demo and buy a "new" kite

Post by tomcai » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:31 am

I'm done with my 06 Shockwaves (too much bar pressure) and ready to move on to a new generation kite. The kites in my short list are:

1) 2008 Slingshot Rev 9m or 11m
2) 2008 F-One Bandit 9m
3) 2008 Ocean Rodeo Rise 10m

I'm 5'10" 165 lbs, able to go upper wind, toe side, curve turns, and one hand steering....and soon jumps:) Do you think this is reasonable candidates and size for me for riding at 3rd ave?

Any one who can help me arrange demos? I am interested in buying a new or almost new kite.

-Tom

EvanOR
Regular
Regular

Post by EvanOR » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:47 am

Hi Tom,

The 10m will be the size to go for. Please contact myself or Stefaans and Chris at Windydevil. Any one of use can set you with a demo Rise, and WD has kites in stock.
Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Golden Gate Sailing Expeditions

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:43 am

Tom,

Take the time next weekend and come out to Sherman for the Wainman Hawaii Demo. Save the best for last and join the Rabbit Gang.
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

EvanOR
Regular
Regular

Post by EvanOR » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:26 am

Tom,

Take the time next weekend and come out to Sherman for the Wainman Hawaii Demo. Save the best for last and join the Rabbit Gang.
Out of curiosity, what makes the Wainman kite " the best "? Sorry, but you opened this door yourself by posting that comment in this manner. Most people shy away from comments like that since there really is no such thing.

I haven't had a chance to fly a Wainman, and it does look like a cool kite and I'm sure it performs, but I'd like to hear your justification. I assume of course you've actually flown the other kites and are familiar with their features, warranty, pricing etc so your claim holds some merit.

As a consumer, I expect that if a brand is priced substantially higher than its competitors, it would at the very least be able to match the warranty and features offered by them.

10m Rise complete $1394, one year warranty and single pt inflation.

9m Smoke complete $1509, only a 6 month warranty, no single pt inflation.
8m Rise complete $1284, one year warranty, single pt inflation.
Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Stefaans
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Stefaans » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:31 am

Tom, just hit me up i have a 10m Demo i can give to you for a day or 3 so you can ride it at your home spot. (3rd).
Let me and I'll put it in my car if you want to pick it up today.

Stefaans 415-425-7262

recoprianto
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by recoprianto » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:25 pm

I would recommend flying all 3 before you buy. I love my Revs, butvall three of those kites are pretty sweet.

They all are great kites, I would just see which one you can get for a reasonable price. Everyone is saying good things about the Wainmans, but I they are kind of pricey.

More Waves Please
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by More Waves Please » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:31 pm

Yeah, Chris - how can Wainman be the best when we all know it's Airush? :) 10M Flow SLE is $1,298 complete with a one pump system. Or if you're into the waves, how about a 9M DNA for $1,118. It's not a one pump, but it only has 3 struts.

Although I have to admit that I've never really seen the value of one pumps. I suppose you save a few minutes during inflation, but you spend extra time squeezing the air out to fold up at the end of the session. Who want to spend extra time at the end of a session when there's a luke warm beer waiting in the truck?

I've never seen a failure, but there are also more holes and a lot more complications on the leading edge with one pumps. I'm a Keep It Simple Stupid proponent; the DNA's, Wainman's and the Bandits all fit that bill.

Brian

EvanOR
Regular
Regular

Post by EvanOR » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:51 pm

I'm also a proponent of keeping it simple, but when it comes to a well engineered single pt inflation system vs the alternative, I make an exception. I've had it on all my kites since 03 (Slingshots and OR's), and have never experience a single problem with it to date. Personally I'd rather save a lot of time each time I blow up a kite, even if it means that it's a little more complicated to fix in the unlikely event I ever need to do it. Regardless of preference, all else being equal, a kite without this feature should cost less than a kite with it - the same goes for the number of struts on the kite.

Brian, a valuable tip I've learned from all of my years in this sport. I pull the plug, then crack a beer. By the time I've sucked it back, most of the air has bled out of the kite and she's ready to be rolled up. :drinkers:
Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding
Hyperflex Wetsuits

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:55 pm

While we're talking price and warranty and performance.

Let me know if you would like to demo the Eclipse Nano or Thruster. Great kites. They all are but the more kites you can try before you buy, the better chance you have of finding something perfect for you.

The Nano 9m complete, with single point inflation and a 1 year Bullet Proof warranty is retailing for $974.40. That's kind of hard to beat. I believe the Thruster is about $100 more for a 10m.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

michael
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by michael » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:40 pm

2008??? Kind-of strange time of the year to demo or buy brand new 2008 kites...

On Friday I had an opportunity to demo a 2009 kite. I ride 2008, and that kite left me speachless.

Hold on with your 2006 just a little longer, and go for 2009.