Free Magazine!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Rou Chater
Contributor
Contributor
Free Magazine!

Post by Rou Chater » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:16 am

Hi Guys,

We have been running this online magazine for a while now, since November 2006! It is the biggest kite magazine in Europe right now and we are looking to increase our US readership. I think you guys will like it, it works just like a paper magazine with flipping book technology. There are about 25 pages dedicated to beginner intermediate and expert technique every issue which includes video. Plus travel, interviews and heaps of tests. Issue 7 is online now and you can read it for free just click on the cover shot below:

We keep all the back issues online, you can find them on our site at www.iksurfmag.com/back_issues.php

Loads of kit has been tested including most of the new kites for 2008. In the next issue we will be testing the rest of the kites for the coming year.

Would love to know what you think of it, we are always open to suggestions and looking to improve the project.

Many thanks and good winds!

Rou Chater
Publishing Editor
www.iksurfmag.com

KirkTalon
Regular
Regular

Post by KirkTalon » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:21 am

Do you take reader's travel stories, articles, etc...into consideration as features in your mag?

Kirk
RRD, Mystic

Rou Chater
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rou Chater » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:32 am

Hi There,

Yeah always interested in new articles and features. obviously it all comes down to the quality of the pictures and content. But we are always happy to have a look at articles.

I have PM'd my email address to you. If anyone else reading this want to contribute just PM me and I'll get you my email.

Cheers

Rou

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:21 am

Love the technique pages. Keep up the good work. how about some hard hitting reviews where you aren't afraid to list the negatives? (i don't know about some people, but I'm a bit sick of kiteboarding magazines reviewing kites and saying every one is absolutely amazing in every way)
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

funkiatdabeech
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by funkiatdabeech » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:54 pm

Oh yeah, you don't have to go far - take the last issue of kiteboarding Mag. All new 2008 kites there are "great", and notes why they are great were all from appropriate manufacture Team Riders.... no wonder.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:03 pm

ha ha, at least they're not pretending to be unbiased!

i generally just check out the kite reviews in the magazines for a good laugh and to look at all the pretty colors...

although, to be honest- i was flipping through an issue of kiteworld (which is UK based, so it's a bit expensive for us), and I was impressed that they actually listed a fair number of complaints in each review...
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

Rou Chater
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rou Chater » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi guys,

Glad you are liking the magazine, the tech pages are for sure one of the best things about it. Christian and Karine are excellent coaches and the work they put into it is amazing!

I always like to respond to readers and it is interesting you mentioned the test reports. It is a debate that has raged for some time in the UK. Before IKSURFMAG i worked as editor for Kitesurf UK and over the last 4 years have produced over 23 magazines. I've been lucky enough to ride all sorts of kit too.

I have with this new magazine always tried to include the positives and the negatives. We always make our test reports wordy as well and as in depth as possible. Normally about 500 to 600 words. The current issue isn't really a test issue. You'd need to check out the back issues or look out for issue 8 which will be out in a month or so.

We always list a for and against paragraph and we do our best to be as honest as possible.

There are many issues around kite testing though, what one guy loves another hates. What is right for one style is wrong for another. I find kite testing is such a personal thing! kites are so different, we did a big bow test in the first issue and we flew pretty much every kite on the market. Every single one was completely different in the way it flew and felt. So we try to describe how the kite would feel and fly so you can relate that to your riding style. Fast kites slow kites steady light on the bar etc. I think that is the best way to convey a kite test. To give you the best impression as to how it will ride!

As an aside kite testing really sucks, as you spend you whole session learning to fly the kite and finding out what you can and can't do with it! We normally keep our test kites for a month and try and ride them in as many different conditions as possible and also have three different riders with different styles that help out so we can give you the best possible idea as to how the kit feels and flies.

it is windy here in the UK, i'm on a downwinder tomorrow and i can't wait!! :)

Rou Chater

yojimbo
Regular
Regular

Post by yojimbo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:17 pm

Rou

That article on the evolution of kites to present day was extremely informative. Helped clear up a lot of chatter and misinformation that I had been hearing about bow vs. c-kites.

Thanks

Rou Chater
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rou Chater » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:05 pm

Awesome, glad you like it.

There is an article in issue 4 called Bow Vs C's where we interview heaps of people for thier opinion. Not just pros, but designers and testers and also the regular kiter on the street.

Rou

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Online Magazine

Post by kitenaked » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:22 am

Technigues section is really good. Breaks it down well and inspires me to want to go buy a impact vest and wear my helmet.